Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to re-glue the lens name ring to ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » How to re-glue the lens name ring to a Rollei 35 S or SE? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a very nice Rollei 35 SE but the lens name ring has fallen off. This is a very common problem for the S and SE models of the Rollei 35. The ring is made of anodized aluminum and quite smooth. It was originally glued onto the heads of three little screws holding the distance ring of the lens in the correct position. This is very delicate to re-glue and it did not yet find a suitable solution.

Do you have any tipps? Is superglue recommended for glueing metal to metal? I made attepts with contact cement but without success so far.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Super glue will probably make it stick, but you might never get it off again. Did the contact cement not wet on the smooth aluminum, or was it just not strong enough?

Reiner

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was not strong enough. However I might give it a second try.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make sure that the cement on each half is dry before pressing them together. You can get a broad range of bond strengths with contact cement, depending on how soon you assemble the parts (the longer you wait, the stronger the bond)

Reiner

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Rick.

I have now re-glued it successfully using contact cement. Before applying the thin cement layers I have very carefully cleaned and degreased the contact points with lighter fluid and with isopropanol. I waited until the cement is rather dry and then I pressed the ring onto the screws. That is now solid enough the keep the ring in place.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration