Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax MV focusing screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax MV focusing screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could someone tell me how to remove the focusing screen.

Rich

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove top cover. Unplug flex strip that covers prism. It "unplugs" down along side mirror cage. Remove 2 screws holding on prism. There it is! There's a lens that sits on top of it. Be careful not to get dust in between these 2 components on reassembly. It's impossible BTW. In the day...Pentax recommended cleaning with a duck feather. Remove all the quills except for a 1/2 inch on end. Pentax techs used a solution of alcohol and ether. Ether for rapid evaporation. Upon reassembly...be advised the 2 screws on the prism are paralax adjustment screws. To adjust...open back, flip up mirror on bulb, hold camera at arms length and simultaneously look through view finder and back of camera. Look at a verticle line, like a door casing, and align both the viewfinder line and the one you see through the back.

If all fails...buy an ME Super on ebay. Great units!

Hope this helps!

Doug

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you. I shall have a go. I used 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to lightly clean the screen but left a dark shawdow around the edges. The centre area is still bright and clear. I have used the same fluid on my MX and it was all right. May be they are made of different materials.

Thank you again.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pentax cut corners on the MV by fitting an inferior focus screen. If you are going to tear down the camera, you might as well retrofit a brighter screen from a junked ME Super. (You might need to tweak the meter calibration to compensate for the brighter screen.)

Isopropyl alcohol has additives that can leave residues when cleaning lenses. I prefer to use vodka, which is 40% ethyl alcohol and doesn't leave a residue.

Doug

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I decided to remove the whole prism / focusing screen assembly. There are four screws to remove and don't forget to remove the LED PC board first before lifting the assembly off.

Thank you all for the advice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration