Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME super SE back latch problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax ME super SE back latch problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The back of my camera opens up occasionally without warning. I noticed a little bit of metal wear on the latch. I brought it in for repair of this problem, as wel as a sticky shutter, and was told the problems could be fixed but better to have an "overhaul", which I did.

Got camera back,paid for it, sticky shutter fixed, but back still opened unexpectedly.

Brought it back - another representative adjusted the latch, but I noted it still had play in it, and asked that the original technician check it cause I didn't want to lose another roll.

He kept it, then replaced it with an old back, with an even more worn latch. It had even more play in it (i.e., movement when putting light pressure on the back when closed). I noted this to the clerk, but she insisted I "try it out", which I did.

The camera back opened again, on frame #8 of the next roll. I brought it back - it sat there for 3 weeks and they didn't call back.

Can the latch mechanism be replaced? Why is this such a big problem?

thx,

Henry

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Obviously the camera back wasn't the problem. The only other component, and the one they should have changed, is the sliding latch.

Either the tips of the hooks are bent (or worn) or the upper end of the latch (that is lifted when you lift the rewind knob) has been bent, holding the latch always partially disengaged.

I'll privately email you a exploded view of this area.

Henry

steve

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry, after considerable debate with the owner, who insisted there was "nothing wrong" with the repair - he replaced the back again - this time with a hook which didn't show the wear pattern.

However, he would not replace the other tip - the one associated with the rewind knob. He claimed this was "too much trouble" as it required removing the leatherette. That particular tip moves just a little from side to side with the back open, but the camera does latch. When latched, there is about 1/32 inch of slight play when pressure is put on the back (it does not move without pressure). The camera shop claims this is acceptable.

Since the back-opening phenomenon is an intermittent failure, I will have to try it out for a couple rolls to see if it stays shut.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration