Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT100b prism "rubbish" falle... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta SRT100b prism "rubbish" fallen on focussing screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Barr

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

In the last month a piece of rectangular, flat dark material has fallen from the prism area onto the focussing screen of my Minolta SRT100b, which I've had for 17 yrs. I have no experience in camera maintainance, a quote for fixing it involves taking the top plate off and a cost of AUD 180-200.

I would have thought that the focussing screen could be removed from below, and this rubbish removed, but of course it might not be rubbish and needs to be put back in place. And focussing might be affected if the focussing screen is not put back in the right place.

The material looks like a flat strip or ribbon and is almost as long as the focussing screen but only about a fifth as wide.

Any comments or instructions on how to remove this material would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill

rick

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bill:

I'm afraid the focusing screen does not come out downward in the SRT, the top cover does have to come off and the prism out to reach the screen. You might shop for a better price, I don't know if you'll find one or not.....

Bill Barr

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick,

Cheers,

Bill

Leo Gottfried

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rubbish might be a piece of the foam that makes the mirror bumper. (And you should replace it)
I took apart an older model minolta and if yours is like mine there is no way to take the focusing screen from below..
The good news is that you should try to fix it from below by carefully removing the rubbish with a plastic tweezer and a toot pick ...(to avoid scratching the plastic screen)- Do not try with cotton swabs or any other thing that will smear this goo all over - If I was you I'd try this last technique and leave whatever rubbish leftovers there. It will not interfere with your camera's ability to take great photos and the rubbish will become a simple cosmetic issue. If you do not know what you are doing you'll ruin your camera forever.

Bill Barr

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Leo,

I'll have a close look and see whether I can get the rubbish out but I would hate to ruin it even though it is not my main camera anymore.

Cheers,

Bill

Ed

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

some STR's have a shutter speed scale in the viewfinder--I think yours did not and what you are seeing a thin, metal (probably brass) plate that went in place of the ss scale--both were cemented in place and both had a habit of falling out. Top and prism do have to be removed to make repair.

Bill Barr

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ed,

Looking at the screen I can't see any easy way in and so will shop around for quotes.

Cheers,

Bill

Lee Crump

Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 06:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have repaired several SRTs. Removing the top cover is not too difficult. (Make sure you make a note of the current film and shutter speed before removing the screw on top of these dials.) A service guide can reguarlt be obtained from ebay for $10 - $15 US. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration