Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 jamming mid-roll Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canonet QL17 jamming mid-roll « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Santiago

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I am having problems with my canonet jamming at exposures 8-9.

Opening the back, it seems that film is not getting properly wound in the take up spool. I am using bulk reloads; is the shape of the leader cutout critical for the QL mechanism? Or it could be another problem? Any tips on how can I check this?

Many thanks.

Martin

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The easiest way to check this is with a store bought film. It can be hopelessly out of date as you're not going to process it. I keep one around for testing advance mechanisms and frame spacing. Load it up and you can see exactly what's happening. Now take one of your spoiled reloaded films and watch what happens with that too.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should also make sure your rewind knob will rotate without any appreciable drag. If there is significant drag in your rewind knob/shaft, the film will be torn at about frame 7-9. The tractor wheels try to pull the film through, but the resistance of the pressure plate combined with drag from the rewind knob/shaft prevent it. (up to frame 7-9, there is enough slack in the film canister to let the film advance, even if the rewind knob is stuck firm) It is important to get the film threaded into the takeup spool correctly, but please bear in mind the spool only guides the film into a coil...the tractor wheels do the pulling of the film.

Jon

Santiago

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an update; the problem was the shape of the leader in the bulk loaded films; they load fine on my F3, but choke on the Canonet.

After cutting them to a shape more resembling of store bought film, the problems dissapeared.

Greets and thanks, Santiago

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration