Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

G-III QL17 shutter not sticky but sti... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » G-III QL17 shutter not sticky but still not firing properly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Herbert

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I recently bought a Canonet QL17 GIII which had recently had a professional CLA and seal replacement. I'd put a film through it with great results. However, two days ago I picked it up and the shutter was only firing at default speed, despite the meter still working on AE mode.
The problem progressed to the shutter opening and then staying open until it was cocked again. At this point the shutter speed ring started to lock up on the lens and I put it on a shelf before I did any more damage.
However, had a look under the top cover this evening and it started working for a while at all speeds(for no reason I could figure) It's now reverted back to default speed again and the shutter speed ring is working. I'm baffled. Any ideas?

rick

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the escapement is gummed up and not returning to its rest position after it fires... without the delay gears in position, the shutter just fires at its top speed. the shutter staying open until cocked for the next shot would be pretty much the same cause. You say this had a professional CLA? If so, send it back, it should be guaranteed. I can imagine something like this even being caused by a CLA attempt, but not a professional one.... in any case, the CLA should have prevented this problem for some years to come.

Getting this deep into the shutter of a Canonet is not particularly easy, and at the value of the camera some short cuts might have been taken on that CLA.

Nick Herbert

Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that. I shall have to track down the previous owner and find out who did the service. It is probably beyond my capabilities to try this myself.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration