Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon QL17 GIII firing intermittently Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon QL17 GIII firing intermittently « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Earl Haramaki

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon QL17 GIII. As of recently, the shutter won't trip reliably. I find that when I "fool around" with the speed ring, it will fire sometimes . Now, that trick doesn't work anymore. When I cock the film advance and press the shutter release, I can feel a slight "bump" and see the shutter blades move ever so slightly. Then this morning, I got the shutter to trip a couple of times. Blades are clean and oil-free. Makes me think the shutter is fine but something under the hood is not functioning correctly. I just had the camera cleaned 1yr ago. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that a thorough cleaning of the shutter blades will solve your problem. Even though they look clean and oil free, you are only looking at the front side of the blades, the oil is causing sticking and it is on the back side of the blades.
I don't believe that the problem is under the "hood". When the shutter seems to give a slight bump and may move the blades slightly, it is just oil sticking the blades together. Pull the front lens, clean the shutter blades and also the apeture blades with ronsonol lighter fuel on a q tip...clean sever times and work the shutter, let dry over night and try shutter & apeture and make sure that they are working before re-installing the lens.

Earl Haramaki

Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Ken. This is probably beyond me. It looks like a trip to the repair shop...

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 05:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before taking that fateful trip, you may simply try to pour some Ronsonol in the self-timer slot, without dismantling anything. Sometimes it is enough.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the problem is in the blades themselves, getting Ronsonol to them from the self timer slot will mean quite a bit of Ronsonol, at least some of which will have to get between the lens elements in order to fix the problem. Once it's there, it's almost inevitable for some of it to wind up on the glass, after which you'll need to pull the lenses out to clean them anyway. It might work, but it might also irritate the repairman you wind up sending it to later...

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I'd try warming it up first. If you have forced-air heat in your house/apartment, set the camera where the air will blow on it. If not, you can warm your oven up to its lowest possible setting (usually will be about 200), turn it off and let it start cooling down. Set an oven thermometer inside and watch it. Once the internal temp of the oven falls to around 120, put the camera in there and close the door. After about 10 minutes, remove it and see if it starts working correctly. Sometimes winter will cause any oil present to become more sticky. You may be able to improve that with a little warmth and "exercise" of the shutter.
Jon

Earl Haramaki

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon, Interestingly I tried your rec. I put the camera near a heating vent and let it warm up. I'll be if the shutter didn't start to fire. So then, I probably need to have the shutter serviced/cleaned?

mark

Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a PENTAX P3N, when I turn on the camera and move the handle, the shutter doesn't fire, after 4 or 5 try, it starts to work . Each time I turn it off and on, I have the same problem.I apperciate to know your opinion.

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,

You really needed to have started a new thread or reopened one of the several on Pentax M or P series. But I'll answer anyway...

Your problem sounds like dirty shutter button contacts. Heat won't help it. The top needs to be removed and the contacts physically cleaned.

As for "baking" cameras and lenses, it works very well. I've had lots of success with those green grease German lenses where the helix is totally frozen. But instead of the oven I use a blow dryer.

Henry

Ondrej

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what you are describing is definitely the sticky shutter problem. it is not at all difficult to clean it yourself. try google...

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is even an article in the repair article section covering this operation in detail.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration