Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XE Question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta XE Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Drage

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta XE that i love, but there is some noticable 'crud' in the viewfinder that bothers me. It does not appear to be on the mirror or bottom of focusing screen.

I think what i need to do is take the top off (or at least the cover to the prism - if this is a seperate part) and swab it out.

I have only fixed one camera before so I underdtand the value of step by step instructions.

Does anyone know a website offering detailed breakdown steps for the operation that i need to perform?

Henry

Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any step-by-step...yet. I'm doing a Leica R3 very slowly and taking many photos. I may do an article on it.

One of the things left to do is cleaning the viewfinder/focus screen. After looking at the exploded views of an XE-7 it looks like all that needs to be done to remove the pentaprism is to remove the center top cover...unscrew the circuitboard and fold it over to the wind side...then unscrew the two screws retaining the forked bracket holding the pentaprism...then just lifting off the various pieces. At least it LOOKS easy. I'll have to let you know after I actually do it.

Henry

Henry

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I removed the pentaprism a few minutes ago. The steps are indeed as I previously wrote. However, you may have some trouble getting the prism out from between the two vertical side circuit boards. The rewind side one just pulls out, no sweat, but the wind side one (at least the R3 was tight) might give you some trouble.

I haven't cleaned or reassembled yet...just disassembled. I'll get to putting it back together in a couple days.

Henry

Steve

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK.

Allow me to add some XE related comments.

1. Top cover is removed by first unscrewing two screws that attach the front name plate.
2. Then four more screws for the top cover
3. Then take off the plastic center insert on the viewfinder blind lever and take off the lever.
4. The top cover will now slide vertically upwards and free of the camera.
5. At this point a single circuit board is mounted flat on top of the prism screwed down and wired tightly on all four sides. This board looks very hard to remove.
6. Re-assemble the camera, give up and learn to live with the dirt in the viewfinder.

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Close to true Steve. If your XE is like my Leica R3 it is actually only soldered/wired on the right side. The wires are routed (and in a terrible mess) along the top of the viewfinder. This circuitboard is held by two screws at its rear. The board folds over towards the wind side so you can get to the two screws holding the forked bracket retaining the prism.

But you are right, living with a dirty viewfinder is much easier. I just had my camera apart anyway.

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration