Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Battery Eating OM-2N Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Battery Eating OM-2N « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aaron

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Olympus OM-2N is not famous for eating batteries, but mine is a bad battery eater. I have measured the current flow between the +ve battery terminal and the camera base plate with the power switched OFF, and the reading is an alarming 0.1A. With the switch set to either MANUAL or AUTO the reading is more than 0.25A which is the maximum value my mutimeter can measure. That explains why a new set of batteries will only last a few hours. The camera operates fine except this ailment.
I suspect there is power leakage to the camera case. I have run through the repair manual for OM-2 downloaded from the web but this topic is not covered. Does anyone have experience in locating a leak such as this? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've got a big one there. the "off" drain in my OM2S (which IS a famous battery eater) is only .000013 amps. I don't think there should be any "off" drain in an OM2 or OM2N. A leak of the size you have (and I think ANY leak in the "OFF" position on the OM2N) would seem like a short upstream of the electronics, but in that case I would have expected it to be relatively unaffected by turning the switch on. Since it is happening in the off position though, trace the wiring between the battery box and the power switch for starters. there's also the switch that turns the system on as the mirror goes up if you fire it with the main switch off, so look in that direction too......

you're talking about an AWFUL lot of current: I just dead-shorted an ammeter across a #357 battery and only got 0.19A, so I think you're looking for a dead short, maybe a pinched wire.

rick :)=

Aaron

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. I have done the measurement with the mirror flipped up (sans battery). The readings are the same. Therefore I think the switch you referred to may be stucked in the closed position. I have examined the camera with the top cover, bottom cover and the floor inside the mirror chamber removed; but still cannot find it. Do you know where it is? Thanks!

rick

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm afraid i don't.... i have a service manual that refers to it but doesn't seem to show where it is. the schematic diagram shows it as immediately downstream from the (-) terminal of the battery, and it's actuated by the mirror as it goes up, so i'd guess it might be on the side of the mirror box above the battery. can you trace the wire from the battery box? i've never had the mirror box out of an OM2 (and i hope not to ever have to).....

Aaron

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,thank you. It is too bad that the schematic downloadable for both the OM-2 and OM-2N are not very clear, otherwise I can try to trace the switch. If I have gathered enough courage I might take out the mirror box to see. In the mean time I'll leave it for a while.
Aaron

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration