Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar: Shutter won't fire Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Vivitar: Shutter won't fire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Amer T

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, here's my problem.

In the middle of a roll my camera suddenly would not let me advance the film.
This is what the last picture I took looks like:
http://amer_t.tripod.com/last.jpg
( The black strip on the bottom is part of my problem, I guess)
---------------------------------------

So I removed the lens (k-mount) to see if I could see anything unusual.

Since I never had time to learn exactly how my cam works ....I kinda tried things ...
One of them was to push down on part A in this pic.
http://amer_t.tripod.com/front.jpg

After doing this my shutter release button would kinda do something (this time I could feel resistance ...or at least I imagined so).... the mirror moved up, but just a bit ... and then ....NOTHING.... and I still could not cock the shutter.

Then I removed the bottom cover hoping to be able to "trip the shutter or unlock the film advance." as advised elswhere...
Here's what I found :

http://amer_t.tripod.com/bottom.jpg

Easier said than done .... could not figure out how to do it ( or if I need to do it at all ...)

Again, I tried things .... moved the part 'b' down ... now I was able to almost cock the shutter ....
but ...the curtain would not move further than the red line on this pic:

http://amer_t.tripod.com/inside.jpg

Same thing happened if I moved the part 'b' up ...

So there you have it....
I know ...it'd be easier to just take it to a repair shop .... but the money's kinda an issue ....and I'd love to learn how to fix it myself ...

I would appreciate a step by step troubleshooting process since I have no experience in this.

... I was tempted to further disassemble the poor camera .... but I'll try not to do it until I hear from someone who knows what they're doing ...

Thank You.

James

Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, first things first. Did you try a set of new batteries?

James

Amer

Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes ... I should have said that ... ( if I'm not mistaken it'll work fine without batteries...it's very similar to Pentax ME btw. )

Amer

Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops ... just looked at Pentax ME Repair Manual ... Vivitar does not look so similar to me now .... sorry .... my bad ...

Henry

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, you have a vertically traveling metal bladed shutter. And it seems one of your curtains will not get closer than about a quarter inch from the edge of the frame. These shutters cycle completely under spring power. If it doesn't go full stroke you have a physical obstruction. Most likely an internal screw has gotten loose and lodged in the shutter mechanism.

I've seen this a few times. Unfortunately the fix is a mirrorbox out kind of repair. Very involved, you up to it?

But you might get lucky and it be film chips in the blade grooves.

Henry

Amer

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Henry,

I appreciate your help.
I'll give my best ...
(was very close to taking the whole cam apart anyhoo .... kinda hoped I wouldn't have to ... but what the heck ....it's a challenge )

Thank you

Amer

rick

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a very nice Olympus Pen F jammed this way (though it's a different shutter).... a screw had come out inside and landed in the teeth of a pair of gears, stopping the works. it was quite a lot of work to get to it, but once i found it clearing the problem was quite simple. still, on a pay-per-hour basis, i probably earned the camera.

Amer

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright...now I know why they charge so much to get a cam repaired....

I'm stuck ...dunno how to take the top or front off (rewind crank seems impossible to take off)...
on top of that my $3 (made in China) 'screwdrivers' are piece of c****.... damnit ...#@$%$@&#

anybody have any idea how to take this thing apart (Vivitar v4000) ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration