Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic - removing... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic - removing corroded battery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greg

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any suggestions on what solvent to use to free
up battery removal on this camera? Any good used
battery screw-in holders out there as mine is getting
badly worn? Thanks from Greg in NE.

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd recommend removing the bottom from the camera. This will allow access to the battery compartment, as well as allow you to work on the bottom with nasty solvents... If there is corrosion there's probably a problem in the battery compartment area as well and this way you can work on that. For removing battery corrosion I've found that white vinegar seems to work well, it reacts with and dissolves the 'battery ooze' that comes from alkaline batterys, and I think mercury too. It is a mild acid, so don't leave it on for too long, and don't let it get into places you don't want it. Rinse well with water after, and use a hair dryer to dry things out.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw some after market battery covers on the internet in case you need a replacement and cannot find the original part. But I do not think this will be necessary if there is not cross threading or such.

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592P1812152-Replacement-Parts/Pentax/Battery-Covers/SPOTMATIC-Battery-Cap.aspx

Art Pelletier

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Honeywell Pentax H1-a from 1966; a gift from my late father. After years of use, it has developed some problems. One repair shop says they have no parts for it nor can get any, reporting that the "ss is way off", the "curtains and ribbons are tired" and the "shutter is worn".
Although I have a new camera, I'd like to get this one repaired. I can't believe nothing can be done. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration