Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need help with Olympus Pen-FT film co... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Need help with Olympus Pen-FT film counter! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have very little experience with cameras, so I'm hoping somebody would be able to help me out.

My camera's,(Olympus Pen FT), film counter does not work. After following the instructions in the manual for properly removing and installing film, the count still shows at 72. I'd really appreciate help.

Also, the manual says the counter should reset once the back cover is opened.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the most common cause of this problem is the dial getting dirty over the years, so that it's too sticky for the little hair spring to return it to 0 when the back opens. try slapping the top of the camera while the back is open, see if that makes it reset.

David

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slapping the top didn't help. =(

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, i guess the next step is to take the top off and have a look at the counter. if you feel up to trying it, email me: i have a sketch for removing the top.

David

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, thanks for your help, but i think i'll just have it repaired. I don't wanna screw anything up.

rick

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok!

: ) =

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, don't you just love it when people waste your time. This is a repair forum. We open cameras! If you aren't going to open your camera why ask the question. Especially something this simple: removing the top!

Oh well, I must be tender and sensitive this morning. :-)

Henry

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'sokay henry, it pays the same either way. i'm sure he was hoping we could suggest something that wouldn't require opening it up, before he had to send it off for repair.....

: ) =

John Shriver

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One possibility is that the little pusher that detects the rear door opening is hanging up on decayed foam. It doesn't go out far enough to reset the counter. I've seen that happen on some cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration