Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon QL17 GIII Focus problem. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon QL17 GIII Focus problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Willard

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have repaired the shutter and cleaned the lenses. The film plane image does not agree with the distance scale markings or the rangefinder.
The rangefinder agrees with the dinstance scale. How can I adjust the focus?

regards, George

rick

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi George:

If the actual focus at the film plane does not agree with the infinity focus, something is not put back together the same way it was originally. I would try to find and correct this before making any adjustments. Here are some possibilities:

If the lens will not go to infinity focus, perhaps either the shutter or the panel it is mounted on is not fully seated into its original position. Check that the screws and retaining rings are tight and that there is nothing trapped between the parts. If it goes to infinity and beyond, perhaps some shims have been left out at reassembly. You might get similar effects from a lens cell either not being fully seated or being seated too deeply if a spacer shim got left out.

Once the infinity focus is right, then go on to checking the rangefinder against the image in the film plane. I would not rely too heavily on the lens distance markings other than the infinity mark, as it is difficult to measure precisely enough at the intermediate marks for purposes of adjusting focus.

rick :)=

George Willard

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, thank you for the information. I will have to pull the front and rear element off and check. The distance scale indicates 4 feet when film plane is in focus at infinity.

I have a 2nd camera with meter problems, so I need to check the film plane focus on that camera. If it is OK, I should be able to compare the components in the two cameras.

George

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George, that is a large amount of error and in an unexpected direction: it means that the lens is roughly 1mm CLOSER to the film than it is supposed to be.

rick

George Willard

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I have found a solution to my problem.
There is a slot on the lens barrel with a set screw under the bottom cover.

See link below for details:

http://webspace.flxtek.net/~ashworth/ql17.JPG

rick

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, that would do it. did that get disturbed?

: ) =

George Willard

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't change it but the set screw was loose. I probably just drifted out of focus--this is an eBay purchase camera. Most folks would not see the problem unless shooting wide open. I noticed it because I shot the USAF targets on a roll of film. I shot a roll of film yesterday and had it processed today. The focus is very close now. The amount of total change required to fix the focus was about 0.015". (1.137" from the lens end to the chrome cover where the distance index mark is located.

George

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration