Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Batteries for the Oldies !! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Batteries for the Oldies !! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

kathie mcglone

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have searched the boards for a while looking for a website that sells the PX625 and other Mercury-free replacements..I finally found it in an (evidently) new website...www.vintagebatteries.com !!
The seller had the battery in my mailbox in three days....with free-shipping to boot!

I dont know if i'm even allowed to "pump" another website, but the experience was outstanding and "those" mercury-free Wein cells DO EXIST !!

Ken

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FINALLY someplace where I can do some one stop battery shopping at VERY reasonable prices. Plus, the service is second to none!!!!

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geez, do they think we are stupid?

Obviously they do!

rick

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, as long as we're at it:

Also check out http://www.photobattery.com
and http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-111.html

(the last one isn't even selling anything)

: ) =

John Farrell

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use hearing aid batteries - available at my local supermarket, and inexpensive....I get more than 6 months out of the cell I put in my Canon FT.

charlie stobbsa

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was a kid, we used to make batteries by putting a zinc wire and a copper wire into a lemon.I don't remember if it produced 1.35 volts.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't have room for a lemon. I stuffed some raisins into my Photomic FTN and now it doesn't seem to work at all......

: ( =

Meg

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys ?????? :)
that website that started this string, vintagebatteries.com had (by far) the best price for the Wein Cell 625 that I've seen yet !!!!

(Gotta try the Raisins though) :O)...

Have a great Holiday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to be introducing a new mercury battery substitute very soon. It will be pretty cheap, and it will last virtually forever. Here's the basics: Whether you know this or not, the silver colored filling in your molar is an amalgam of mercury and silver. When you bite into a bit of foil, you actually form a battery in your mouth! That's right...a tiny little galvanic battery sends a bunch of electrons down to a nerve at the base of the filling to give you that wonderful feeling. One metal is the anode, the other is the cathode and your spit is the electrolyte! What I'm planning to do is teach you how to remove a filled tooth (this is pretty easy, or I could do it for you for a small fee), wrap it in aluminum foil and spit on it. Presto! A mercury cell is made, and as long as you can spit, it should continue to work. In conjunction with the battery project is a simple but effective weight loss program. Depending on how many cameras you have, we might be able to eliminate your ability to chew your food.
Jon

ed

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to cure Baldness ???

Clary

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I am proposing is a battery (made up of simple condensed electric eel sperm)that inserts into the urethra and interfaces with the brain via any simple garden wire that you would use to keep vermon out of the garden. Then, connect the brain and the battery (lodged in the urethra) together with solder (the higher the lead content in the solder, the better. Don't let anyone convince you that lead is harmful), and all you have to do is "think" about getting a hard on and you can blow your load in the car, on the bus, in the resteraunt, ANYWHERE, and nobody you will know you are "waxin it"! Who needs these friggin websites when there is good old American ingenuity. So stop buying batteries, get out the scuba equipment, catch yourself some electric eel, and have a virtual jackoff anytime, anywhere! Merry Christmas!

George Willard

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In USA your local Radio Shack has 625 batteries. I bought one last week for my Miranda meter prism finder. In my case I did not need to adjust it. I compares with my Gosen Digisix readings. They are 1.5 volt, but just recalibrate the meter. It probably needs it anyway.

George

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George, those will work better in some meters than others, and in many cases you need to keep a close eye on your meter readings as you go.

The general tendency will be to get a bit of underexposure with a fresh battery, improving over time and becoming pretty good for some months, then drifting toward overexposure as the battery ages. I've had readings of 2.5 stops or so of overexposure in some meters using an alkaline that had been in there a while. If I'd been paying attention I would have noticed it and replaced the battery earlier, but things seemed to be working and I just trusted the meter. If you are getting voltage related errors, they will tend to be worse at higher light levels; not linear, so you can't just change the ISO setting to compensate.

But, especially if you don't shoot slides, the alkalines can give acceptable service if you check your accuracy periodically.

rick : ) =

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baldness...Well, please don't tell anyone, but what if we slightly alter the popular "Chia Pet" gimmic...er, product? I think we could make baldness a distant memory or at least high comedy. You simply moisten the area where your hair no longer grows, sprinkle on the pack of magic seeds and "poof" Chia Hair! The look will be...I don't know, maybe like the love child of the Jolly Green Giant and Barbara Streisand. I think it would sell. After all, "Faith and Hope" is still being aired in a prime time slot, so it couldn't take much.

Jon

meg

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NOT BAD ED....you should apply for an appearence on "The Apprentice",,,,either that or work a deal with Ron Popeil of Ronco..:)

Mickey Oberman

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lemons. Raisins. Balderdash.
You should be using currants.

M Currie

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

" Lemons. Raisins. Balderdash.
You should be using currants."

Unfortunately, I cannot take pictures every day, because I live very far out in the country, and have no access to direct courants.

David

Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact is that the voltage in alkaline 625 batteries drops over its life from 1.5 to 0.9 volts. The old mercury batteries were a constant 1.35 volts over their entire life. Conclusion -- the alkaline 625 battery is NOT an adequate substitute. The best substitute is the zinc-air batteries but they have a VERY short life.

John Farrell

Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zinc air cells last longer than you might think. They are inexpensive enough to try. Some older cameras, too, which originally used mercury cells, have bridge metering circuits which are not affected by supply voltage....the Pentax Spotmatic is one.

Ernesto J. L´Episcopo

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AFAIK, most of the old metered SLRs had bridge type meters so they were mostly unaffected by battery ageing. However with alkalines, even with bridge meters, there will be a time when the voltage won´t be enough high to generate enough current to drive the galvanometer, so the meter will be fouling the user without prior notice (it still measures light but error is quite high)One way to be noticed of this is to check for response time, it is how long it takes to go from low to high light. A slow motion means battery low. Better if the camera has a battery check switch. A good practice is to replace batteries every 6/8 months as they are cheap and easy to find. Be carefull: all this DO NOT apply for series or other circuit type exposure meters, neither to those old time "electronics" which are extremely dependent of battery condition. Besides, baldness...hummm...no cure I guess! Happy New Year for ALL!!

Richard Cook

Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the UK the small battery company sells replacements for most batteries.

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/

John Farrell

Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like we've gone full circle here.

Kiron Kid

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys ??????
that website that started this string, vintagebatteries.com had (by far) the best price for the Wein Cell 625 that I've seen yet !!!!

Yikes! I'm paying half that price for my Wein cells.

Kiron Kid

henry

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, the site seems fine. And the prices are even finer. What got me was how "commercial" the first two meassages of this thread sounded.

But still I've never bought from them yet. My stockpile of mercury 625's keeps going...and going...and going. :-) (Another commercial.)

Kid, I need to stop by and read a few messages from the Kiron Klub. You guys tend to take too many photos for me, since I certainly ain't no photographer! But still the history you guys uncover is fun to read. Ain't Kiron glass fine!!

Henry

Ben

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're right about the "commercial" string....But Kiron "aint" lying...Vintagebatteries.com does have the best price for Wein...I've been purchasing them through B&H...But their $8.00 handling charge brought the price over $12.00 per unit...
(on goes the commercial!:>

Anson

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received my Wein 625 in 2 days...$7.50 INCLUDING shipping..(the Free S/H is what sold me on the site)...and now with Ebay raising their fees across the board, you wont find any good deals there anymore
I hope the guy (or gal) does well with it..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration