Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super meter recal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax ME Super meter recal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

andy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone have any advice on how to recalibrate the meters in the Pentax ME Super models? I've taken a look under the hood of one of these before and don't just want to start tinkering without an idea of where to look and what to do. Thanks!

Henry

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a couple variable resistors on the flex-board over the prism. I think the one for the meter is the rear one. Usually these don't need to be readjusted...you sure you need to?

Henry

andy

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry,

I am reasonably certain that I do, as the camera has a tendency to call for 4 second exposures and, regardless of film speed, the meter never wants less than 1/125th. If you have any other ideas, please advise.

Andy.

Henry

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could simply have dirty resistor tracks. Or you may have a break in the circuit where not all of the voltages are being added.

If the camera has never been opened...at least not by a screwdriver happy tinkerer...then I REALLY doubt you have a simple adjustment problem. Do this. Take a reading of a consistently lit thing...like a cloudless sky. Now cycle the aperture track about 50 times and the ASA track about fifty times. Now take the reading of the same spot in the sky. Do the readings match? If the reading has changed you definitely have dirty resistors.

Henry

andy

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, henry, i guess i'll just have to open it up and see what kind of internal gunk invasion i have on my hands.

to get on your nerves a little bit (you seems pretty good about quick responses) per an earlier question that hasn't gotten a response yet--when you take the mirror box out of an older canon (ftb/tx era) do you have to retension the curtains after reinstalling? got my FTb to wind & fire but the second curtain no longer follows.

thanks,

Andy.

Henry

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unless your second curtain has zero tension, tension is not the problem. Check the clockwork. Maybe a catch is stuck or a spring installed wrong.

A good work practise is to check functionality after installing each part during a reassembly. When I follow this things go smooth...ALWAYS. But when I've short circuited it some times I wind up spending tons of time re-disassembling.

Check your catches...

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration