Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter ribbons material for contax II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Shutter ribbons material for contax II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jani Heikkinen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

I already have a nice collection of different kinds of ribbon materials I've used on other cameras, but non to be suitable on a contax II. Does anyone know a place within EU where I could buy suitable ribbon online?

Jani

David Ritchie

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suggest you try an Ebay search. I recall a man in Japan having some for sale, but that was a year or so ago. You may just get lucky.

rick

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to recall Jon Goodman was looking into some ribbon sources; he's a regular here, if he has something maybe he'll pop up.

:)=

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi...I've got nice silk ribbons, however the ones I have are more suited to the Leica & clone styles. They're about 3mm wide, but only about .0044" thick. As I recall, the Contax/Kiev shutter used ribbons which were about .010" thick. Not that mine wouldn't work, but I think you need the proper thickness here. I can tell you from my experience, it is difficult to find silk ribbon in a .010" thickness at the width you need in a woven edge style (and the cut edge style might not last until you get the camera re-assembled). I use a synthetic ribbon for the pull string in my light seal kits which is about 3mm wide & I think it might be the right thickness. It might work, actually. It does not seem to stretch, and the edges are nicely finished. Don't know about the EU, but here it is sold in fabric stores under the brand name "Offray" and 50 cents will buy you a roll of about 8 yards. I could mail you some of this if you want to try it.

Jon

Mark Pearce

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try Oleg Khalyavin at www.okvintagecamera.com, located in Russia.
He usually lists it in his parts for sale.
Mark P.

rick

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the 3mm Offray ribbon in Contaxes and Kievs. It is not as durable as the factory original material, but it is adequate for the kind of use a camera like this is likely to get today; I've been doing this for about 20 years and I have never heard of one of my ribbons wearing out.

Gordon G Lee

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 02:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Petriflex V since new in 1963 served me well till the shutter ribbon wore out, I have it in bits now because I have been unable to find any suitable material, tried some black ribbon but it proved to be too heavy, the original, as light weight as it is also, had a very thin rubberized backing, I have proved I can cut one to suit if only I could get suitable material. One would think with all the fabric manufacturers one could come up with something.

Camera shops aren't much help, not even to take on the repair themselves. I am only 76 years of age and not a professional camera technician. The clever Country! a nation of ball chasers. any leads would be most appreciated. I will still be getting a digital camera, but I got used to the the advantage of interchangeable lenses.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe I can send you some of what you need. The ribbon won't be rubberized on the back, but it doesn't need to be. What I have is 100% silk, about 3mm wide(maybe 3.2mm) and .0044" thick (thin?). If these dimensions will work for you, please let me know. Personally, I'd replace all the ribbons at one time.

Jon

Jani Heikkinen

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!

I took my contax II to a local repairman who has correct ribbonmaterial and let him do a full overhaul on the camera. It took one week and today I got it back and the camera works perfectly. It was worth the money as the Contax II is a wonderful camera, so I guess I'm now a "Contaxphile". :)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration