Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

GSN Pad of Death problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » GSN Pad of Death problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Flanders

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just installed a new "pad of death" in a GSN. Before installation the shutter fired at only 1/500th. Now I get the familiar clunk, but no shutter fire. I took the bottom off and noted that there are what appear to be adjustment screw heads on both shutter rods. Is there anything I can do to now get the shutter to work?

Jon Flanders

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you can adjust the shutter release shaft on the top end after removing the top cover. The bottom adjustment screw is for adjusting the slide switches and their bottom latch.

When readjusting the shutter release shaft take care that the arm which goes over to the frame counter releases the double-wind latch as soon as the shutter is fired. It can be bent slightly if necessary.

Jon Flanders

Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried adjusting the shutter rod from the top one way and then the other, but the shutter still doesn't fire.

Now I see, however, where the Yashica clunk comes from. Its the black rod in the bottom catching on a pawl. When you start to cock the shutter and advance the film, the rod is freed from the pawl and drops back, hence the clunk. Without the pad, evidently the rod doesn't get pushed far enough to catch on the pawl.

But what actually trips the shutter? Why did the shutter work without the pad, but now does not with it?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration