Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 111 531/16 r... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 111 531/16 rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harv

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rangefinder is in need of realignment. The external linkage seems to be moving freely so I'm wondering if there is an external adjustment I'm overlooking or does the top have to come off. I noticed a round metal plug on the back to the right - does that access an adjustment - and how does it come off?
thanks - Harv

Ezio

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Based on personal experience your problem may not be the rangefinder but rather the camera being out of focus. This is how to check it:
1) Block the shutter in open position ("B") with a cable release with lock.
2)Open the back door and put a ground glass on the film plane. If you don't have one, the semi-transparent (matt) paper used to protect medium format slides is as good subsitute.
3) Set the focusing ring at infinity, point the camera at a distant and well defined object (moon, trees, etc.) and use a magnifying glass to check the image. Is it in focus? If yes, what follows is of no interest to you. If not, this is the next step:
1) Around the rotating front lens element there are three very small holes that give access to the heads of thiny screws.
2) Release the screws (without removing them) and rotate/adjust the front element until reaching a position, whereby with the ring at infinity the image is in focus.
3) Retighten the screws. This ensure correct focus at all range, and it will also automatically relicabrate the rangefinder (unless it has problems of its own).

Harv

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I appreciate the reply but it's definitely the rangefinder. The ground glass image and the corresponding distance on the focus ring are right on the money. I took the lid off the camera and could see that someone had been in there ahead of me. I gave the fixed mirror over on the right side of the mechanism a few little nudges while checking the viewfinder and I think I'm in business now. The metal plug I was curious about is a smooth faced screw which gives access to that fixed mirror so I'm guessing that's how the adjustment is made but I've been wrong before.
Harv

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration