Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica TL-Electro -- Worth it? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica TL-Electro -- Worth it? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bailey

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I inherited my father's old camera, a Yashica TL-Electro. New to photography and using cameras, I've tried to research and haven't found anything useful to my search. A couple of questions: this camera hasn't been used for a while, (at least 25 years...he bought it in the 70's), would fixing it up be worth it? Has it gone too long without use to salvage it? It would be great if anyone could provide some knowledge on this brand and type of camera. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Nick R.

Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen Nakamura has a good page on it:
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?YashicaTLElectro.html~mainFrame

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've found these to be very nice cameras and easy to use. Hopefully, replacing the light seals is all you'll need to do to it. If you are interested in making that a fun do-it-yourself project, I can send you a kit (including instructions & pictures) for $6 that will put you in the saddle and your camera back in the darkness. To see it, you can follow this link, and if this one is sold, click on "see seller's other auctions."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30030&item=3863227356

(or search E-Bay using the "items by seller" option and enter my ID...Interslice. Actually, if you look closely, you will see some re-sealing which took place on a Yashica SLR right on the auction page. Hope you enjoy the camera. I still have a TL-Super that is one of my favorites.
Jon

Lou Marucci

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Yashica TL Electro X was my first camera. Bought it at a PX while in the service. Great camera but difficult to meter in bright light. Made my first money with it professionally and has great sentimental value. I would very much like to find a battery cover for it. Appreciate any help.

Steve Roberts

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a TL Electro about thirty years ago when Pentax Spotmatics were still £100+ secondhand and the TL Electro was effectively Yashica's equivalent but could be had for £70. I was always very pleased with it, never had any problems and found its action smoother and quieter than the Pentax. Only sold it when I "upgraded" to the Yashica Electro AX, an early automatic that gobbled batteries and gave inconsistent exposures. Often wished I'd kept the TL Electro.
Go for it!

Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration