Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina III c with a dim rangefinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Retina III c with a dim rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Sacamano

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have acquired a very mint III c which has as it's only apparent fault, a dim rangefinder. I assume this problem is beyond the skills of a novice, but is there a pro, or an experienced person out there who can remedy this?

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most Retinas have dim rangefinders, and I have to say that they don't get much brighter when cleaning them.

Cleaning the rangefinder is not that difficult. The top cover comes off very easily (don't hold the camera upside down, you will loose the pin for resetting the frame counter - but it is not too difficult to put it back into place). When cleaning the viewfinder front lens elements make a note in which order the lens elements, frames etc come off - they must be put back into place in exactly the same order. After cleaning your rangefinder probably will need minor readjustment. There are two screws on the rangefinder arm, one for securing the arm and one with an excentric head for adjustment (the head runs in an oversized slot).

Rob

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this if you feel a little adventurous...

I recently picked up a shoe mounted rangefinder that was also dim. On a lark, I held a lens from a pair of dollar store sunglasses over the left viewfinder window. It brings up the contrast between the two images like you won't believe. Maybe try to glue a piece of tinted glass over the left window...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration