Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Must fix M4 winder lever mechanism Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Must fix M4 winder lever mechanism « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Philip Forrest

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a US Navy photographer currently in Iraq and recently took a little damage to my personal M4 that required replacement of the winder lever. NOW, the brass collar that the winder lever sits upon will not cycle back all the way to it's ralaxed position with the lever on. The tang on the bottom of the lever that engages the brass collar prevents the collar from fully snapping back. In essence it's made the camera a double stroke in a way. I do not want to have this camera die on me and we don't have any repair personnel out here in the desert. I'm thinking I need to get the top cover off, and rotate the bras collar back to where it is supposed to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm assuming you mean Leica M4. And if I'm understandimg you correctly the "brass collar" is actually the central member of the drive shaft assembly. This assembly is mounted via three screws and the top plate of this assembly may be bent. Also the double stroking may be caused by a tooth having jumped.

You may email me directly and if you can accept photos and large files I can send you a scanned M2 service manual. It's about 6 megs.

Henry

Philip

Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry,
Thanks, I came upon a manual online last night & got the thing apart. It turns out that the drive shaft assembly is attached via 2 notches to a washer with a tang off to the side that is a mechanical stop to prevent overwinding. The incredibly tiny press fit boss that acts as 1 side of the stop range had worked itself out of the hole and had limited the travel of the drive gears. No worries though, I took a look at everything and all the gear teeth are very much intact with no damage to them. The only "problem" now is that the winder lever rests gently against the shutter speed dial instead of standing off by a few millimeters. The camera is working fine now. However the framelines seem a little out of whack. When I put on a lens, the proper frame line is brought up, but the lever is loose instead of it having it's usual spring tension and it will not bring up framelines wider than the lens that is mounted. That's no big deal though for me, I usually have a 50mm on the camera and those framelines work just fine. I was in a bind because all this came about several days before I travel to Spain. Thanks for the help though, and any more advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!
Philip

DJ Casarez

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I hope Phil forrest gets this as I am having a hell of a time e-mailing him. Anyhoo, sory this has nothing to do with camaras, just tryin to say hi to a friend at war.
laserz:
DJ Casarez
a.k.a.: thed

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration