Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Has anyone ever opened a Kodak Synchr... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Has anyone ever opened a Kodak Synchro 800 shutter? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rick oleson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a Kodak Tourist with the 800 shutter from Bob Cutler (scroll down to 12/23) for the purpose of opening up the shutter to study how it was made and how it works. The shutter is in working condition but sticky and in need of a CLA to be usable.

So far, I have not been able to open the shutter: it seems that the second element should be threaded into the shutter, and the front panel appears to be captive behind the lens cell, but nothing i've done has managed to budge the cell. I have cut spanner slots into it but still can't turn it.

Has anyone ever had the front off of one of these? Am I going at this the wrong way? I remember seeing some drawings or photos of it in an old publication, but I haven't been able to find that since I got the camera.

Any hints would be appreciated....

rick : ) =

Frank Puffer

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick:

I just checked with my synchro-rapid 800 service manual. They show the center and front lenses being removed as a unit using one of the outside clamp type lens wrenches after the focus ring has been removed.
Hope this helps, but if it isn't clear let me know.
I've had some luck using Nye Molylube powder as a lubricant.

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Frank, this does help. I may have to make a wrench to get it off, nothing I have seems to work.

I have got the shutter working fine now though... I flooded it with lighter fluid and cleaned the glass by unscrewing the rear element. I'll probably leave well enough alone for now, but some day I'd still like to open it....

Happy New Year!

rick : ) =

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration