Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Autocord Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta Autocord « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta Autocord TLR which a friend wants me to sell on Ebay. The camera is in lovely condition except that the focus lever appears to be jammed. As this will bring the price down I wondered if there was a quick fix for this? Moderate pressure (I am wary of damaging it) has not shifted it. Any ideas?

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DO NOT force it: broken focus levers are the #1 cause of worthless doorstop Autocords. The hardened lubricant in the focusing helical needs to be cleaned out and replaced with new lubricant before the camera can be used without risk of irreparable damage. It's fortunate that you are aware of the potential for damage and have been careful with it, often Autocords are not so lucky.

Henry

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

List it as is. Chances are someone with a broken focus lever will be willing to pay just about anything for it. Maybe you need TWO bidders with broken stops? :-)

Henry

Dorian

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This requires a complete disassemby and lubrication which will most likely cost more than the camera is worth. Broken focus levers are endemic with Minolta Autocords.

Andrew

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Gary H

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same problem with my Autocord but luckily, it's stuck on infinity.

I may try some naptha to loosen it up

DAB

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have an autocord that I've had sitting around for a couple of years. It's a beautiful example and I broke the focussing lever. I've tried, very carefully while protecting the camera with aluminum foil, to epoxy the cylindrical lever back on. Nothing seems to stick properly to the metal used on the lever. I can still focus with difficulty with my fingernail, but that's obviously not an acceptable solution.

Is this now a parts camera?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration