Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

YASHICA Lynx 5000 aperture blades Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » YASHICA Lynx 5000 aperture blades « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to repair a Yashica Lynx 5000 that has the classic problem of broken aperture blades. I've been looking here https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/yashicalynx.html
and here
http://pheugo.com/cameras/lynx5000/lynx5000.html
for guideness

The blades are very badly bent and one is actually broken. Not only the studs are off, it is actually craked.

Anybody has some spare blades?

Thanks

Chrisb
Tinkerer
Username: Chrisb

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Pablo, you should be able to find a 5000 at that auction site for very little.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I've thought about that, but I do not want to buy another one that might have the same problem. All the 5000 that I've seen have the same problem. I was just wondering if somebody has some spare blades.

Actually I'm trying to fix the blades and to refabricate the studs out of copper. I've been working on that for the last 8 hours and I'm starting to believe that there must be a solution.

Does anybody know if the tin of a coke can is thin enough to fabricate a blade? Has anybody tried to solder a blade with pewter/silver? Am I Nuts?

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol

no. i've contemplated such things myself, but the thing is there are other, presumably more realistic projects in the wings.

if it were me, i'd probably just go the replacement route. i've never seen a 5000 with blade problems, so one of us has not seen a normal sample.

best,

-chris

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well... Stubborn? Yes, thats me!

It took me a whole day, I did some damage to my social life, but I did it!

Here it is how:

This studs were gone on four of the five blades.

I put the blades between scisors to strigthen them

And I squized as much as I could.

I found some copper wire that was of the same thickness of the studs.

With a home made lathe, I reduced one of the ends of the wire and I put it through the hole of the blade. Then with a minuscule hammer I hammered the thin side. I the cut the other side at the right heith with a Dremmel disc.

The finished blade. One of the blades was broken and had a bigger hole. This hole was slightly offset so I had to do an asymetrical stud, that means, a slightly thicker stud with a mini-hammer WHAK!

Since the studs no protrude on the front part, I had to make the holes on this plate bigger to leave room for the studs.

Done! Open....

Close...

Now I have to put the whole thing back together but that will wait till tomorrow because my wife is gonna kill me.

Howpow
Tinkerer
Username: Howpow

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Pablo. If you succeed with this you are a genius. We mere mortals salute you!

Chrisb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oye pablo !bien hecho!

so rusted.free is your website, eh? i've enjoyed a few of your pages quite a bit.

nice work on the lynx. i'm really curious to hear more about your "homemade lathe". i've done some ad hoc lathe-type things. very ad hoc, mind you. are you talking an honest-to-goodness lathe, more or less?

best,

-chris

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bad news, one of the pivots came off. It lasted for 1 roll. I have to start over. MAL HECHO!

My homemade lathe is rather simple: on one side I have a batery powered drill, and on the other side I have a metal piece that has a very hard iron point attached to it. The whole thing is attached to a workbench. No honest to goodness, only a bit MacGyver.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration