Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

If I want to learn how to fix a calss... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » If I want to learn how to fix a calssic camera... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kkl122002
Tinkerer
Username: Kkl122002

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cost for the Retina IIIc is quite high, approx HKD$450, and need to wait at least half a month.

Thinking backwards... I think I should learn how the fix the classic cameras. Do you think I should buy a cheap, required to be fixed camera for learning purpose?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 52

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would start there. You might want to check the articles on this site, and try to find something for which some information is already available, or just keep your eyes open for something that looks interesting and cheap. I'd definitely break an Argus or a ratty old folder or something before proceeding to the Retina! I figure it this way: a basic repair on any camera from my local camera wizard comes to something between 60 and 100 dollars. Therefore if I can get a camera that's worth less than that in working condition, it's cheaper to break it and replace it with another if I fail.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 143

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is what I did, because I was so angry about what one of those mekeshift repairshops charged me for a "repair" on a Petri 35 several years ago. Those repair "experts" had simply poured half a bottle of sewing machine oil into the camera and said they had repaired it!
So I decided to do the repair (shutter CLA, viewfinder, lightmeter) myself. I soon realised I was completely incapable and gave up trying. After fumbling about on some easier cameras I tried again ... and have now four such Petris in good shape, all fully functional, all work on them done by myself.
But you've got to read this first before you start tinkering: http://www.daniel.mitchell.name/writings/oncamrep.html
and probably also this: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/yashicalynx.html
If you can positively respond to the question at the end of Henry's article (even after cases in which you screw up your project) you are in the business,
W.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 35

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's how I started a part time job for 20 years, I started out simple and graduated to more difficult, I purchased clunkers and fixed them up. It also helps your self esteem and keeps you off the streets...Don

Kkl122002
Tinkerer
Username: Kkl122002

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I 've also thought about buying a new Retina, but I decided not to do it. Because I don't think it is worth to take this step.
I also agree with the articles' idea. It is more worth, and meaningful to get a classic camera that fixed by your hand. I also have a lot of free time beside my work.
To begin, which type of camera I should try? Folding, fixed lens range-finder or others?

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 60

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the cameras I bought are broken. If not, there is not fun involved.

For a Euro (or a dollar) you can buy a non functional camera in a yard sale.

See this cameras I've repaired and try to find one similar so you can have some inspiration.

http://www.rusted.free.fr/cameraindex.html

Once you've done 10 reparations, you can fix nearly all of them.

Spdtwn
Tinkerer
Username: Spdtwn

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A word of caution regarding your proposed Retina IIIc purchase. The shutter setting rack can be abused by heavy handed use and end up with damaged 'teeth'. Check that the wind/shutter setting function smoothly. Replacement racks are in the 'hard to find'bracket.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 81

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started with the easier camaeras and progressed to others. There are many repair manuals out there and on this web site, I started back in 1965 with an Ed Romney course and then it turned into a parttime job. I found some of the more expensive cameras easier to fix. Each has it's own quirks...Good luck Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration