Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minister D - which is easier Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minister D - which is easier « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andyn
Tinkerer
Username: Andyn

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two faulty Yashica Minister D's. Camera One has no rangefinder image - I guess mirror has fallen off, but the shutter works and adjusts well. Camera Two had a stuck shutter which I've got moving a bit using solvent (record cleaner), but the biggest problem is that the shutter speed won't adjust (similar problem with the LV gearing to earlier post, except mine's stuck on about 125, irrespective of position of ring). I would like to get one good camera out of the two. My question is what is the easier approach - I am rather inexperienced. I could a) remove lens and shutter assembly from Camera One and use it to replace that on Camera Two or b) try and fix the rangefinder mirror on Camera One (a job I've failed at before on a Konica 1.6) or c) try and repair the shutter mechanism on Camera Two. Your thoughts most welcome. Thanks in advance. Andy

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 148

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Y min D is not an easy camera for a newbie, you can find out about that by a quick search in this forum's archive and then decide for yourself if you are capable of doing the repair. From a distance and without having seen your cameras it is hard to tell which of the two options is the easier way.
In comparison to any repair on or adjustment of the very straightforward RF array of the Konica the project you are thinking of is a lot more demanding, swapping shutter/lens modules for instance would require adjusting infinity focus.
BTW, hat happened to that Konica? I'd be interested in it, W.

Andyn
Tinkerer
Username: Andyn

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 03:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your comment. The Konica is now working. I took the (working) rangefinder module from another scrap one and fitted that. I recalibrated and it works fine. Also had to remove the self timer to get the shutter to work. That too works fine, but has lost its "click" (I know the fix for that is on here somewhere, but it seems to work OK without). And I did manage to reconnect & adjust the rangefinder by following advice from this site. How tricky is it to swap the shutter/lens module as I suspect this is my best bet?

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 149

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Konica Auto S 1.6 (or Auto S2) repairs are simple if one follows Mick Feuerbacher's repair tips.
Here you can also find info on infinity adjustment of RF camera lenses (alignment will be inevitable, no matter if you swap either only the lens/shutter combo or the whole rectangular lens panel).
As for the Y ministers, there are some tips on the following site (can be auto translated by Google language tools): http://homepage1.nifty.com/fukucame/restorelink.htm.
As the CdS cell and the light meter stay with the body the lens plate carrying the lens barrel can be separated from the body as a whole unit (with no wires in the way) after removal of the leatherette plus four slothead screws at its corners. Linkages to the shutter (cocking mechanism, release) are easy to understand and line up almost automatically on reassembly if you do not force anything and carefully try out everything before reglueing the leathette.
Maybe the first photo of this link is also useful:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/yashicalynx.html. In my opinion the following is also an excellent source of info on Yashicas: http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/index.html.
Maybe I am a purist in this respect, but I hold the view that implanting parts from donor cameras should not exceed what is necessary for restoring a camera's function, limitless swapping of parts will negatively influence your cameras' authenticity.
Yes, I have done that myself, but historically speaking those crossover cameras are nothing but gimmicky fun objects, W.

John_scott
Tinkerer
Username: John_scott

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding your two Yashica Minister Ds-- It's not particularly difficult to take the whole lens/shutter assembly off of one and put it on the other. You have to peel back the vinyl covering and take out the four screws that hold the aluminum plate on the body. The flash sync wire has to be re-soldered. The top and bottom covers have to come off in order to get the front plate off.

From my experience, if theres no visible RF image, it usually means that the swiveling mechanism is simply stuck and not swiveling. Removing the top cover and poking around will determine that. A drop of solvent on the axel usually helps.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 150

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As there is no hot shoe on the Y minister D and the flash sync socket plus the wire are part of the front plate assembly, neither desoldering nor resoldering is necessary.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration