Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S1.6 stuck shutter/timer Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Konica Auto S1.6 stuck shutter/timer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I picked up a really nice example of this camera. The shutter is jammed on it however. It seems to be a classic example of the self timer stuck at halfway and holding up the show. I am not familiar with these cameras. I do have some experience with the Yashica G-series rangefinders. So far I have removed the front element and have gotten to the shutter. By visual inspection I don't see a problem. Well I quess that says it "I" don't see a problem. Maybe someone can get me going in the right direction. Also I may want to throw in the towel and pay for someones services. My goal is to take pictures with this cool camera. Not to just get it going. I don't know who might work on it, maybe someone else does. Thankyou all in advance.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 311

Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're inside the shutter, you should see two escapement clockwork assemblies. One, at about the 3:00 position as you look at the front, is the shutter speed timer. The second, at about 8:00, is the self timer. If the self timer is half-run and stuck, a drop of lighter fluid on the star wheel will probably start it running again.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 170

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Except for the lens and some minor variations of the light meter the camera is practically identical with the K auto S2. In comparison to the Y Gs the auto S2/1.6 is almost foolproof, almost no wires, no sliding contacts, no "pad of death" etc.
Info on how to proceed is here:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/konicaautos.html
http://www.daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/copalmxv/copalmxv.html The shutter is not exactly the same but the explanations are basically also valid for the Copal SVA of the S1.6.
http://feuerbacher.net/photo/frame.html?repair/KonicaAutoS2/KonicaAutoS2.html~Ma in
Here you can see what has to be done to bring your camera back to life.
NB: There are shutters that have to be either separated from the cameras to be cleaned in a bath of solvent or even knocked down completely, but usually flushing them with lighter fluid is the right method, but taking off the lens components is a must in any case. I have never found it necessary to go all the way of stripping down a shutter in a K auto 1.6/2 as shown.

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou
I will report results upon completion. It is fantastic to have such a ready resource for my hobby. Hopefully I will one day have something to contribute.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration