Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17: Stiff Focus - Focus Hel... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canonet QL17: Stiff Focus - Focus Helicoid Lubrication « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dranav
Tinkerer
Username: Dranav

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've finally won Black Canonet Ql-17 on eBay that I was after. And I got it really cheap - $50! But with the price come the "benefits".

Some of the problems that camera had:
-stuck shutter
-dead light meter
-wind lever not locking film advance
-badly deteriorated light seals
-wobbly lens barrel

Most of this I managed to solve successfully or know how to deal with it and plan to do in the future. But one thing, as you can see from the topic is what bothers me and don't have an idea how to proceed is stiff focusing ring.

I know that I should lubricate it.
I know that I should first very thoroughly clean all of left over old grease.
I know that I should be using silicone based grease as best option (already acquired some).

But have no idea how to get to there and what exactly should I clean and lube... How much to use, etc. etc. :-(

From the problems that I've mentioned you can see that I've been behind leatherette, inside lens (frontal approach) and under both top and bottom covers and I have slight idea what's going on there. But still, I'm very green in camera tinkering - this is my first one (if I omit that A -series squeal that I solved with syringe and decanted WD-40).

I've been all over the web and can't find any description of the procedure (getting to focus helicoid with necessary steps and lubing it).
If anyone could be kind enough to share the knowledge it would be really appreciated.

Ah, yes. If anyone wants to check photos and detailed info about the rest of the procedure, I set up a thread on RFF here

Regards,
Drazen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dranav
Tinkerer
Username: Dranav

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here they are, disassembling and regreasing focus helix instructions, for future reference:

First of all, the QL17 is one of the most complex and trickiest cameras to work on, so you must be very patient and take careful notes and photos as you proceed. That said, the way into the focus helix is from the back of the lens.
Numbers in the text are part's numbers from service manual. You can find it on manuals page here.

1) Remove the top and bottom camera covers
2) Peal back the leatherette from the lens mount. Be very patient and help yourself with small knife. Carefully watch for tearing signs and stop immediately if these show, back up a bit and start from another spot. You'll figure it out. I use thin double-sided self adhesive foil to glue it back - put it on cover plates and cut around with scalpel or very sharp knife, remove protective sheet just before putting leatherette back. Lick adhesive to slide it under focus knob.
3) Remove both LH and RH cover plates.
4) Unscrew four screws that hold shutter plate connected to the body. Note that two of these screws are countersunk. I use Post-it notes, stick the screws on sticky site, fold it so it keeps screws secure and label it so I know which one goes where afterward. Be sure to tighten these pretty hard and maybe even put some glue or nail polish when reassembling as they're source of lens wobbliness if loose. The top left screw (looking from the front) is partly hidden behind the shutter-release linkage. To get to bottom right, advance lever needs to be moved.
5) Disconnect the shutter linkage at the base of the shutter-release button. Note the position of little plate there (13-9228 p.1)
6) Gently lift out the bright-frame mask from in front of the rangefinder window (19-0556 p.1). Note how it is held in place by a spring on top and how it rides a lever on the lens assembly.
7) Carefully lift out the lens and meter assembly and unsolder blue and red wires to separate it from the camera body.
8) Remove the rectangular rear hood (13-9199 p.2) from the rear of the lens assembly by removing the two small screws and screw plate (13-9299 p.2)
9) Remove the rear-lens LH outer retaining ring (the one closest to you, when looking from above). Although Roy said to me that this one is hard to get going, I had no problems with it. I used bent and rasped needle nose pliers as a tool. For other ideas check https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/canonetblade.html
10) Mark the position of the focus ring and then loosen the three set screws (X10-170207 p.3) and the other screw so that the focus ring can slip off the helix barrel.
11) Separate the lens and shutter assembly (the front part of the lens) from the rear mounting plate. They will still be attached with four wires ? to get some working slack, remove the clamp holding the wires against the shutter rear cover. Note the position of shutter cocking ring and that other ring.
12) Remove top and bottom focus helix holders (13-9224, 13-9225 p.3)
13) Slowly unscrew helix and when coming near the end go very, very slowly, and carefully try to lift it every mm or so. When you can detach them, note the EXACT position where the threads line up with scratches on both inner and outer part. Roy warned me that they're 6 different ways in which you sac screw it back in, but only one gives proper focus. I counted threads and it looks like me that there is 14 of them. So, be really careful when you do this. If you miss it, you're doomed.
14) Now you have outer part detached and you can nicely clean old grease and dirt with lighter fluid and soft brush. When cleaning inner part, protect lens glass and be very careful not to get any lighter fluid on it. Allow to dry in the air (to avoid the lint from paper towels)
15) To lubricate, use the smallest possible amount of silicone grease to cover the helix by applying it with a finger and removing the excess with a toothbrush.
16) Reassemble. Good luck with it. I haven't done it yet.

If I wrote something wrong, please correct it. Thanks to Roy Laird who mailed me the instructions and gave permission to repost them here so others could use it. I just filled in the gaps and added few, I believe, good advices. Good luck with it.

Regrettably for me, it didn't solve my problem. I can still feel stiffness and jerkiness near the infinity end of the focus. My problem lies between focus ring and inner part of helix. It looks to me that corrosion or dirt is stuck in between those two. I still have camera disassembled and have to figure out what to do with it. I can see plastic retainer ring on this - tried to move it, but it wouldn't let go. If anyone has any advice, it will be very welcome.

Regards,
Drazen

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration