Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE1 film advance inopertaive Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon AE1 film advance inopertaive « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Earthdragon
Tinkerer
Username: Earthdragon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I have a Canon AE1 that I bought new. Several years ago I loaned it to my daughter for a school project but it came back inoperative- the film advance lever will not operate. I have searched all over the web but have found no solution.

I had read that with the AE1 a dead battery can cause this, but same problem with a new battery.

In the process of investigating, I notice that the mirror is retracted into it's up position like the shutter had been snapped but the mirror failed to return to it's down position for viewing. I can easily pull the mirror down (not stuck) but it will not latch into it's down position. I also notice that if I hold the mirror down, look into the eyepiece, and partially depress the shutter release (which is the only action available to me) I can see that the light meter appears to respond and a red light and a red "m" flash the meter side of the screen.

Since I have owned this camera all these years it has sentimental value to me and I would like to have it functional again, but I can't see spending any money on it. I have decent mechanical skills, so if it's something I could correct myself, that would be great.

Thanks in advance and any info is appreciated.

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you could try resetting the camera.there is an article on this in the articles section.all you want is to get the camera to wind so that you can try to snap the shutter with new batteres installed.did you ae-1 have the squel when the shutter snapped?

Klawit
Tinkerer
Username: Klawit

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't help but having the same problem with my AE-1 I hope it could be fixed too. My camera has the squealing sound problem as Aerowoof stated. The lock-up occures while trying to oil the camera which I did with another camera a while ago but unfortunately I wasn't successful. Releaseing the shutter worked serveral times but the mirror locked-up after some tries.

Is there a way to revitalize my AE-1? I don't know how to reset the camera, the mentioned article is not that complete for now. It seems to be hard opening the cam to get near the mechanism.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 801

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The squeal is caused by a bearing going bad in the mirror vibration damper mechanism, which is located on the right hand side of the mirror box. This mechanism is in all A series Canons and it will gradually get worse until the mirror finally fails to complete its cycle. You can't see the mechanism, but it is possible to get a hypodermic needle in to lubricate it with very very thin oil if you're careful and know where to point the needle. There is also the risk of getting oil all over inside the camera, or of using too thick an oil and gumming it up.

That's one possible cause. Another cause of a hangup in these cameras is a dirty release magnet, but I don't think that would stop the works in mid cycle.

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a post in here somewhere about how to oil the mirror box bearing through the bottom of the camera. I found this on a UK web site years ago. I've 'desquealed' one AE-1P and two A-1s using this method and some 3-4 years later the squeal has not returned and my one remaining A-1 still functions perfectly.

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have repaired hundreds of AE-1's that were hung up...abouit 50% of them had a small plastic "nub" lodged into the upper gears. Check the plastic mount under the advance lever area, if it is loose and can be pried up, chances are the plastic posts that hold it down have broken loose and the resultant "nubs" are floating around in the mech (all it takes is one to jam the camera.) Not sure if a total novice should attempt taking the AE-1 or AE-1P top off without some help!! I am a repair shop but not sure I can give you my website on here....I'm new to this!!

Earthdragon
Tinkerer
Username: Earthdragon

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies. Not many clues in the "resetting article". It's been at least 10 years since I last fired the shutter, but no squeal then. My daughter's experiences with it are unknown. Mirror seems to operate freely when I pull it down. Thanks again for the info but if I can't fix it myself, I'll just sell it for parts.

Montrosepatriot
Tinkerer
Username: Montrosepatriot

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same issue with my AE1 - took the top cover off and found no plastic rivets lodged in the mechanical gears and removed the bottom cover and my electromagnet is clean (did the usual by moving the lever to actuate the electromagnet and the mirror is in the locked position although hitting the shutter release locks up the mirror again)...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration