Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon ae-1 program..focusing screen..... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon ae-1 program..focusing screen.......eaten! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer
Username: Peter_johnson

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have spent considerable time cleaning my fathers old 35mm gear up and had just the minor dust fragments inside the camera body left to do.
i removed the focusing screen and very gently cleaned it when my wife opend the door with a hot drink.
before i could say thanks,our puppy burst in and tried jump up......... i dropped the screen and massive shock horror! he caught it,giving it the good news before i had chance to grab it.
it is ruined, i have looked everywhere and even looked on ebay for one.
all i can bid on is complete 'was working lovely?' cameras which is and maybe the only option.
i am hoping that someone may have several of these old ae-1 programs for spares or even the focusing screen?
if anyone does have one they want to part with,please let me know how much.
needless to say, the puppy is alive and well,my wife and her friends think it's the funniest thing they ever saw and me?,well,after cursing myself under my breath a few hundered times and long walks with the puppy, i learnt a valuable lesson..... get a bolt fixed on the room in which you wish to do repair work and spend more time with wifey and puppy!

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 55

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes finding a broken camera is the best way to get the part you need and is often cheaper than if you bought the part itself. I just checked at KEH.com and they have a total of 1 AE-1P focusing screen. Not cheap, but it's the matter screen with grid -- hard to find and very nice when using slower lenses like long telephotos. Second from the top:

http://www.keh.com/Search-Products/1/CA/15/EmptyKey/Grade/0/0/SE.aspx

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you for the info,very much appreciated.
i have placed some bids on ebay for a few ae-1 programs and hopefully,i may win one or both!
if not, i have your link and will purchase one.
i never bid too high for one on ebay as the condition varies greatly in what i would deem as excellant or mint condition so i bid on the basis i may get as you say, a broken camera and maybe some much needed parts!
my wife still finds the situation with the puppy and the look of sheer horror on my face a momenteous source of amusement as i tried to save it from the little destroyer.
bless him.
thanks again,
peter

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my amazing camera advertised as an 'ae-1' which i could see was an ae-1 program, eventually turned up today!
i paid way too much for it......£37 including p&p.
the previous owner has security marked each availiable bit of space...(can be removed with care).
it had a 28mm lens with it ....wow,realistic fungus!
jammed winder problem listed was a flat battery....thought i may as well check.
light seals..... black tar instead :-(
ok.lets have a look at the part i desperately need.... the focusing screen.
:-(
oh
dear
god!
:-(

i believe the one my puppy tried to eat is in better condition.
it looks like someone tried to polish this one with 600 grit sandpaper on the bottom corner and the guy selling it 'never really looked that closely at it before sticking it on the bay?
i bet he couldn't wait to hit the pub!
well it's going back and i am not,possibly for some time if at all!
my own fault,i was carried away,i didn't tell him it was the program version because the camera vandals like to buy them all to break and sell each bit seperately. grrrr!
if anyone does have this part,i do not mind paying a reasonable price for it, rather than revisit the bay and buy a complete(ly) knackered camera and battered (some pages missing,)instruction manual with a triffid infested lens of some sort!

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, and hope you get your money back quickly.

I've never had such bad experiences with eBay, having bought and sold a bunch of photo stuff there, but I do hear horror stories from time to time.

Not wanting to necessarily steer you back to the horse that bucked you off once, but searching through the auction listings I found at least one seller selling AE-1 focusing screens. Check auction #320444904949 for one; they want $25, which to me is a lot, but it looks like a good screen, and the seller appears to be legit, so it might be less of a pain in the ass overall than trying to cannibalize a parts camera. (Try searching for "ae-1 screen" to find these items. This was the only one currently listed.)

Of course, this is the US version of eBay; don't know if the same auctions show up in the UK.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 46

Posted on Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Peter
I may be able to help you, I have a Microprism screen and the handle in a case.
If you have not managed to get one, contact me.
Doug

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi david,this is my worst experience to date and if i am totally honest, i have had many perfect bargains from there.
ebay covered by paypal,just should have asked questions and kept a lid on desperation versus getting hold of one!
you are right in the price of the ones sold seperately though, you can get a 'decent,hopefully' camera & accessories for the same ammount!
hi doug!
hopefully you will see my message sent privately and get back to me.
you guys are brilliant!
thank you!

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone, thank you to all who gave me sound advise and links.very much appreciated.
a very big thank you to doug,(fiftyfifty) who supplied me with a new one!
well happy!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration