Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Are Kodak Disc cameras serviceable? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Are Kodak Disc cameras serviceable? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 36

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait, before you chase me off let me explain! :-)
I like to restore and preserve otherwise useless cameras, just for the fun of it and for display. I am sure I am not the only one here doing that. Just like 110 says 1970's, I think the Kodak Disc says 1980's like no other. Yes, image quality sucks, especially with such a tiny little negative, but they are part of history.
I just indulged myself spending the whopping amount of 99 cents for 3 of these cameras. I wonder if there is any serviceability info, as not even the batteries can be replaced in one of them. If I can get the flash and shutter to fire only once I'll be very happy and call it quits. :-)
Yes, I can probably get a still brand new one in box for about the same money, but what fun would that be?

Thanks,
Ismael

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 76

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to say, first of all, that I would never consider even getting one of these cameras, let alone devote any time working on one.

Having said that, I should say that I find your quest to work on them admirable, if a bit Quixotic. Even though we all know they're practically worthless, economically speaking or even as usable cameras, there's still that fun factor of working on any camera and getting it working again.

I'm going to guess that these disc cameras were never intended to be serviced. But that just makes the chase that much more tantalizing. I'm sure that with a little drilling out of plastic parts you'll be able to get inside one of them. I'm sure you've already thought of the strategy of using one of them (the one in the worst shape) as a sacrificial camera; put it on the autopsy table and do a little post mortem analysis, then fix one of the others.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These things have a little motor in them to turn the disc. There was one part that usually went wrong with them but can remember it right now. The repair they used to do on these was to swap old guts for new guts when still in warranty. Maybe I'll remember more after a night's sleep.

But, like Neb. said, I wouldn't touch these things for love or money. Now, 110 cameras, are different. I'm working on a Kodak Ektramax 110 now. Sure, fooey 110, huh? Hey, this thing has an F1.9 aspheric lens (according to web data).

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 165

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

chuckle

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1047

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got you both beat: http:[email protected]/4293608239/

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 226

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After you fix it then your'e really going to hate to throw it away.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 79

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick: that is hard to beat. That's got to be one of the ultimate "cute cameras" (which I have to admit I'm quite fond of). Tell us: will it ever be capable of actually taking pictures? (Meaning can you get film for it?)

I wonder if the Hit's shutter is of the type "3 speeds that you can pretend are different", or if it really works as advertised.

Anyhow, I want one of those too!

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 38

Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HA HA!
I put batteries on the Tele Disc and the motor started running like if stripped gears or something. Started to disassemble it, but at one point it was either turn back or break the housing. So I put everything back together and said "forget it". When I tested it again it worked fine! Even the flash!
Now I have a totally useless / worthless / WORKING camera to add to my display :-)

http://images47.fotki.com/v422/photos/4/1233394/8371267/IMGP3458-vi.jpg

http://images54.fotki.com/v1592/photos/4/1233394/8371267/IMGP3453-vi.jpg

http://images20.fotki.com/v533/photos/4/1233394/8371267/IMGP3449-vi.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration