Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Minister D lens removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Minister D lens removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xwhatsit
Tinkerer
Username: Xwhatsit

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

I've landed up with a Minister D with a stuck shutter. Compounding this (my own stupidity) the self-timer is on (but isn't budging).

I think the self-timer is waiting for the shutter to be pressed to start its movement; however it never gets this trigger from the shutter. The shutter release travels right down and something clicks but when looking through the lens, the shutter never opens in the first place.

Obviously I need to get at the innards. I've read many a reference to unscrewing either the (bare metal, threaded) filter ring, or the (black, writing YASHINON etc.) nameplate ring inside.

The black nameplate ring doesn't seem to want to move on its own, although I really need to fab up some sort of rubber tool to get a proper purchase on it.

On the other hand, I have some movement from the filter ring. However it only unscrews maybe 30 degrees, then stops hard. It is relatively free moving within this 30 degree range, but seems to be locked hard within this range (almost feels like a bayonet-type fitting).

Does anybody have any clues here? I'm used to taking apart motorcycles which have all the screws visible on the outside. This camera is rather a puzzle to me.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

-Tom

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 76

Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have fixed that same problem on a Minister. Search a bit on this forum and you will find LOTS of advice on how to fix it, because it is such a common problem for between-the-lens metal-blade shutters.

You probably don't need to open the shutter itself, although you will need to take out the lenses so you can have access to the shutter blades. A lens spanner is the best tool (there should be 2 notches in each ring)

The Ministers have 4-element lenses, and the lens elements in front of the shutter can be unscrewed as a single unit.

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before you unscrew anythig please try the following. To release the self-timer at this camera the synchro select lever must be moved to te X position, with the lever on M position the camera will not fire anyway. If this does not solve the problem, you can try to lay the camera on a warm radiator so the whole body will get warm at about 40-45° Celsius. This may take some hours and you can try to fire the shutter again, also you shold try to move the lever of the self-timer but do not force anything. If your radiatiors are very hot lay the camera on a towel.
Walter

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 170

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And there is one thing more you must never forget, and that is heat up your camera before every photo session.
And there is one other thing you better forget at once, and that is picture taking in the cold.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 78

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Xwhatsit,

Have a look at some of these links. My advice-- go easy on the naptha-- it only takes 3-4 drops at a time. It will evaporate in a minute or so. Squirt too much, and you may cause other problems.

Also, with 'slower'-lensed cameras like the Minister, you can pretty easily (at least with a lens spanner) get the rear lens element out as well as the front elements. Myself, I always take out all the glass before dripping anything on the blades. Makes it easier to get the glass as clean as I want it.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/16833.html?1265296792

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/articles.html

Xwhatsit
Tinkerer
Username: Xwhatsit

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Couldn't get the self-timer to release itself even with a bit of heat, and the shutter was sticky and dragging anyway so I thought I should just bite the bullet.

Got the front lens group off in the end. I suspect some hamfisted fool (much like myself) has been in there before, as the thread was binding on itself and looked like a little bit of thread damage. Looks like there was some sort of lacquer applied to the rim of the thread, which dried and became powdery. Who knows.

I put a little bit of pressure on the shutter blades and they sprang open by themselves. Must've been binding on each other. A little bit of naphtha (gosh, I hope it was the right stuff, here in NZ we have something called Lamp Oil, which claims to be 100% Naphtha but naphtha is many things of course. Certainly seemed to evaporate pretty quickly and didn't leave a residue when I used it on my old set of reading glasses with a tissue!). Shutter freed up and appears to be working perfectly. Have optimistically put a roll of film in it and we'll see how it turns out.

How exciting, first camera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration