Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bolsey repair reference material needed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Bolsey repair reference material needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 81

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a Bolsey (Model C) that needs a major overhaul.

Does anybody have any reference materials they can share with me? I understand that there were a few repair manuals printed for the Bolsey 35mm cameras, including an Air Force manual, and one included in a set of repair articles written by Edward Valera. Thanks!

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 125

Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I can't help with a manual (I'd be curious to see one too), but having just rebuilt my B2, I might be able to help you if you have any specific questions. I think the basic camera is the same except for the addition of the waist-level finder in the C.

These are pretty well-made cameras, except for one thing: the rangefinder system is a little on the funky side. Plus I managed to knock both mirrors off their mounts, so I know all about rebuilding that part of the camera. (It's fine now.)

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 82

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm kind of stuck because I can't get the cover off....because I can't remove the two knobs from their shafts. I removed the set-screws, but they just won't budge.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 133

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The knobs are probably just a very tight fit, and there may be enough corrosion to make it even harder to remove them. The setscrews are all that holds them on (at least on the B2, and I think also on your C). Try something made of rubber, or wiggling the knobs on their shafts, carefully.

Removing the bottom plate inside the camera will allow you to take out the film takeup spool, which should allow you to get a purchase on the end of the wind shaft.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration