Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spotmatic lubrication Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Spotmatic lubrication « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jack_croswell
Tinkerer
Username: Jack_croswell

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

I'm new to this site and camera tinkering in general.

After a little over a year, I feel pretty confident working my way around a Spotmatic--I can perform most repairs, necessary adjustments, etc.

The one thing however that remains elusive, is when/where to lubricate? The curtain shafts are perhaps the most frustrating part of this for me. I have tried small drops of Nyoil in the vaguely suggested areas, but with no real satisfaction.

Finally, how does one 'smooth out' the film advance? I have several cameras, that although they function well, the film advance feels rough and gritty, compared to the silky smooth feel of that on other cameras.

Thanks in advance

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 255

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote: "I have tried small drops of Nyoil in the vaguely suggested areas, but with no real satisfaction."

When I read this back to my girlfriend she slapped my face. But it is the best thing I've read all day. :-)

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 173

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many of us 'tinkerers' feel the same uncertainty and frustration with cleaning and lubricating the cloth type shutter. It seems there are secrets that professionals are understandably reluctant to disclose, but even Tomosy and seasoned hands on this forum are less than forthcoming when giving advice on exactly WHERE to relube.
Here is my ten cents worth. For the Pentax K series and Spotmatics, just clean and don't lube. The shutter spindles sit in teflon bearings and don't appear to require oil.
Minolta SRT series; the 1st and 2nd curtain wind gears appear to be factory dusted with dry moly. Leave them alone. The bottom spindle bearings can be oiled but I found Nyoil much too thick, a tiny drop of RemOil is OK.
Canon FTb; the curtain wind gears are best left alone but the upper ball races can be wiped with a small piece of blotting paper soaked in lighter fluid followed by application of small drop of RemOil.

I shall now retire to my bunker and await the flak.

PS a creaky film advance is probably caused by the 1st curtain brake being a bit too tight, and is not related to lack of lubrication on the drive gears.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 189

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say you have several cameras with different film advance characteristics, are they all Spotmatics? Different brands, even different models from the same company can have different advance feel.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 172

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the cook was asked about the recipe he named the ingredients but did not say a word about cooking time and the right order and when to add the garlic. And my grandma used to advise me not to sing all the songs I knew. So why does anybody expect service people and authors of repair books to reveal all their secrets offhand? Who would buy their books, let alone need a service person's paid services if all insiders' tips were commonly shared?
No sure formula exists, except this one.
Oil or no oil, that is no question. The most probable #1 response is not nyeoil, but no oil! Lube rule #2: very little, if any.
Alternative route: if by any chance you hit the mark and pour in some oil where it does not belong the camera is prone to quit on the spot.
Some people call this situation a new or second chance.

Jack_croswell
Tinkerer
Username: Jack_croswell

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the responses everybody. I adjusted the 1st curtain brake slightly, and wa-la...no more squeak. I am encouraged to hear little to no lubrication is the preferred route, as that was my original hope. I am very good at doing little to nothing.

Tictac
Tinkerer
Username: Tictac

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to bump an old post, but can anyone point me to a schematic / tell me how to adjust the curtain brake for a SRT-102? My camera squeaks when I advance it, and I'd like to try and fix it myself instead of sending it out

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 54

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found a lot of good info on this website

http://www.willegal.net/photo/srt/shuttertuneup.htm

In case you don't have one, you can get a 101 service manual here

http://acuravigorclub.com/Minolta/ServiceManual.htm

Good luck

Tictac
Tinkerer
Username: Tictac

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

as have I, but nothing about squeaky shutters or curtain brakes.
Is Gez's post here [https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/16525.html?1254018237] about brakes correct, and if so can someone verify that the screw to adjust them is directly in between two spools?

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 227

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 04:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tictac, I'm not 100% certain that a squeaky advance for an SRT is solely caused by badly adjusted curtain brakes, but I have encountered similar problems in a Canon FTb and solved it by renewing the felt brake pad(s), or more easily, by slackening off the screw that pushes the first curtain pad against its brass running track.

Getting back to the SRT, according to the Minolta factory repair manual the part sitting between the two spools, listed as part number 031-2113-01, is the "brake spring adjusting nut". As the manual does not refer to first or second curtain brakes I assume that a single brake serves both, as in the Pentax Spotmatic. The adjustments section of the manual doesn't explain how to adjust the brake, so it will be a case of making small changes and checking for curtain bounce. Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration