Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor SV shutter question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Prontor SV shutter question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Designfort
Tinkerer
Username: Designfort

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody.
I'm new to this forum, so "Hello everybody!"

I'm trying to fix up an old Agfa Super Isolette with Prontor SV shutter. I took the lens of the shutter and flushed it with Ronsonol. The shutter works great now at all speeds. There is one problem, though: It won't stay cocked. If I engage the cocking lever, the shutter fires right away.
Does anybody have experience with something like this. I attached a photo of the shutter, maybe somebody with more experience sees a problem right away...
Greetings
HerbertProntor SV shutter

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 83

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been at least a year or so since I had one of these opened-up, and I don't think I had that particulat problem. I probably can't tell you anything you haven't already figured out, but my guess is that some lever directly "under" (in the photo) the pivot of the cocking lever is not engaging into that "catch" notch on the round part of the cocking arm (at 8:00 in the photo). There's probably a wire-spring that should be tensioning a pivoting lever to "fall" into that "catch" as you pull the cocking lever back (which should normally make the "click" when you fully cock the shutter, and also what holds the cocking lever in the cocked position...until the shutter is released). Sorry, I don't know the technical terms! I see the release "button" at the bottom of the photo. Push that and see what lever it moves near the cocking arm. Pushing the release button should lift up whatever lever is SUPPOSED to have fallen into the catch on the cocking arm piece (which releases the shutter).

Has the wire-spring gotten out of place? Is there a spring that seems not to be tensioning anything? Is one of the pivoting levers not pivoting freely?

Have you seen this site? It's an incredibly useful site for camera tinkers:

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/

--scott

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that Scott already gave some good clues.

You could also have a look at the photo of my Franka Solida Prontor SV for reference.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/4228569098/in/set-72157622962172593/

By clicking "all sizes" above the image you can choose a larger version

There seems to be some differences though. The general layout is the same but some of the levers between trigger and cocking lever have a different shape.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Herbert,

Just had a look in my archives and found a photo of an Agfa Isolette III Pronto shutter in the cocked situation. Resembles more your version of the shutter.

Pronto Shutter Cocked Situation

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And just another reference photo. Now from the side and released situation.

Pronto Shutter Uncocked

Designfort
Tinkerer
Username: Designfort

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much everybody for the replies! I will see if I get somewhere and post my results.

Herbert

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration