Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Compur Rapid - Zeiss 532/16 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Compur Rapid - Zeiss 532/16 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Taildraggin
Tinkerer
Username: Taildraggin

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, first posting - this site is a terrific thing. I've considered myself pretty handy at figuring things out and fixing them, but this shutter might be my master...

I bought a very nice 532/16 folder and I'm dying to take some shots. When I rec'd it, the shutter had 2 speeds, 1/400 (boosted) and something sounding like 100. Couldn't be too bad, let's open her up and clean her up. I dunked it in naptha and it is now whistle clean. Shutter worked and showed great promise. It jammed, however, after I put it back together; the cocking lever does not move and the trip only opens the shutter a bit. Here is a photo; do you see anything or have I met my match?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_d9rdtJje0Mk/S7faRlxyEJI/AAAAAAAAFCg/ohSKCv7lEbo/s640/Compu r%20Rapid%20532-16.JPG

I believe that this side is ass'y correctly, I did not open the aperature/shutter side or remove the timing gears. The slow timer hook is tucked away, the trip is lined up next to it. The curved speed lever/shoe is at the top of the photo and I believe in the correct position. Something is now jamming the shutter. Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

- Charlie

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 254

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A much higher-resolution photo[1] might help you get diagnosed here.

[1] Hope I don't get ridden out of town on a rail for mentioning "resolution" on an old/non-digital camera forum ...

Taildraggin
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David: this is about as large as I can make it in Picasa.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_d9rdtJje0Mk/S7gSFYUREGI/AAAAAAAAFEs/gWug5UtJQH4/s512/Compu r%2520Rapid%2520532-16.jpg

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not knowing the shutter:
The basic principle of retarder is, that for slower speeds a notch on shutter activating ring releases the escapement once blades open. Check if it got caught under the retarder module.
Also, my Compur Synchro - X can only be assembled when spanned, because the hook, that hits the retarder catch, is otherwise on the wrong side of retarder catch.

Marek

Taildraggin
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marek:

Here is another shot identifying the elements I considered when re-assembling the cocking ring. (My terminology may be wrong, but you'll get the picture.)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_d9rdtJje0Mk/S7iPrhIDJcI/AAAAAAAAFGg/wn8KlawOyL4/s512/CompurRapid532.JPG

I notice that the arm at the top of the cocking lever swung into a 'jam' position in this picture - that isn't the problem. I put it into the groove to the right on assembly and the cocking arm arcs as it should.

The speed control 'shoe' is to the right of that (12 o'clock in pic). It rides the cocking ring at the shoe and the top tab goes into the speed cutout on the speed ring (previous, #1 pic).

Clockwise, the slow speed arm (pawl) is tucked under the cocking ring and grabs the slow speed ratchet wheel under there OK.

At the bottom, the trip pawl is line up on the edge of the cocking ring to do its thing with the trip notches.

So, with all this as such, the cocking ring rotates and cocks, but on release only moves a fraction (blades open ~1cm) and won't go farther.

Thanks again,

- Charlie

PS - I'm beginning to believe something may have come ajar in the timing gearbox on the top right...

Taildraggin
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Answering my own question here... I removed the shutter speed gear ass'y and although tight, was not the problem.

Then removed the aperature case, dumping the teeniest screw that was floating in a shutter pivot slot. The 2 remaining screws were very loose, also. Tighened them all up. Now have to 're-leaf' the shutter blades... Will search the site for the pattern.

- C

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 31

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how many leaves?
5 or 6?
shims?
For 6 leaves and 3 shims look up my post on copal shutter in yashica.
Marek

Taildraggin
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marek: I used the image from R. Olesen and was able to get it back together nicely. It's a 5 - just needed to mind (with lens/shutter face down):

1. which side of blade goes 'up' (rivets up/hook in blade toward center)
2. which direction/order to place them (just work clockwise)
3. leave last blade 'on top' (uncomplicated)

I also pulled the speed gear box out, lubed it, then cleaned out the oil and it's running v. nicely now. This definitely needed to be done and operation and smoothness are now much better.

Tried final assembly last night, but I'm missing something. Cocking pawl isn't catching sometimes and the arm in the photo (11 o'clock) IS jamming cocking. I can get one good cock/fire then it jams and I have to push it down to reset. Something missing here. Getting closer, though.

- Charlie

Taildraggin
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On assembly, I still can't figure out why the lever by the shutter spring is not travelling properly (11 o'clock "Wrong here.."). I can't see what's off - any suggestions?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_d9rdtJje0Mk/S7iPrhIDJcI/AAAAAAAAFGg/wn8KlawOyL4/s512/Compu rRapid532.jpg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration