Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

AE-1 control cable timing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » AE-1 control cable timing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rrodscott
Tinkerer
Username: Rrodscott

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a great old AE-1, but I had the problem with the control cable being broken and the exposure needle bottoming out. I pulled off the top and reconnected the cable, but I don't know how to "time" the shutter speed/ASA dial to the traces below the wiper, which lie under the spring-loaded spool under the film rewind knob. So far, I just set the lowest ASA and highest shutter speed for maximum counter-clockwise travel of the pulley below the shutter speed/ASA dial, and then positioned the wiper below the spring-loaded pulley under the film rewind lever over the thinnest part of the trace. Also, when I first got the camera, I shot lots of film using the auto setting on the lens and a sensible shutter speed. Although the meter didn't work, (it was bottoming out) I got lots of good pics. I used an old style weston light meter to set the shutter speeds. It seems that the auto-exposure circuit is separate from the circuit that feeds the exposure meter. Now, I'd like to use the camera's exposure meter to set the shutter speed. Is there a rigging position for the two spools? I've really enjoyed this forum, and it helped me to unstick the shutter and find the cause of the meter's bottoming out.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 212

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have this camera. All I can suggest is that you should be able to find its repair manual on the internet via google. Let us know if you are not able to.

Richard_cook
Tinkerer
Username: Richard_cook

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to this site:
http://www.baytan.org/prak/canon.html
Download this guide:
AE-1 service&repair guide

Rrodscott
Tinkerer
Username: Rrodscott

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard, thanks for the link. I checked the repair manual, and it seems that I got the thing timed correctly totally by accident. I was lucky that the wire broke at the end instead of the middle, so I just used superglue to reconnect the end. I found the camera in a thrift shop, and got it, a 200mm, a doubler and a speedlite 155A for five bucks. I was lucky to get it before anyone broke the gears. I've seen several SLRs that have been destroyed because people don't realize that they have to have a battery installed before they can be used. Once again, thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration