Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

First step into collecting and repair... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » First step into collecting and repair starting with the Kodak Retina II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ravenlot
Tinkerer
Username: Ravenlot

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I hope I'm not posting too prematurely. I just starting to collecting old cameras though I have had a long admiration for fine mechanical devices including cameras.

I purchased a Kodak Retina II at an estate auction. It looked like it was in excellent condition with the exception of some wear on the leather case. I'm now aware that cameras of this age need to be cleaned, lubed and adjusted but I'd like to tinker with it as far as I can first because that's what I like to do.

I looked up information on these old Retinas and found a wealth of information. However, a few more questions.

I know there were various "types" of the II model. Mine has a Rodenstock-Heligon lens and Compur-Rapid shutter. I don't know if http://www.wctatel.net/web/crye/retina.htm is complete but it suggests that this camera is a type 011 or 014. Chris Sherlock's page suggest that the serial number on mine (264493) indicates that it is a 014.

I read that there should be a sync flash connection around the 7 o'clock area but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps what I was reading as for another "type" or model. Plus, I've never used those (spoiled by digital) so I'm not entirely sure what to look for on the camera.

I know this camera was made in Germany though I wouldn't expect the labeling on the camera to be in German too. The knob on the top left was writing: Infrarot, Color Kunstlicht, etc. I've look those up, Infrared and Tungsten respectively. Perhaps this was purchsed in Germany? I know the prior owner collected some WWII stuff including some that were German. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, I haven't found a Retina II manual that covers that function. I found a manual online but it seems to be a different "type" of Retina II as the photos of that knob area are different. Where can I find a more thorough manual? Or perhaps someone can inform me how to use that function.

Finally, I'd like to clean the viewfinder. I read it naturally has a yellowish/brownih tint to it but mine also has some haze too. I read the article on this website which covers removing the top cover generally. But I wasn't able to apply it to this camera. I haven't figured out how to remove the film advance knob that is located on the top left. It appears to hold the top cover in place even after removing two screws located on each side of the top cover. Could anyone tell me how to remove the cover?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Michael

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 95

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, the Retinas came in two versions. One for the European/German market and one for the American market. The European ones had lenses by Rodenstock (the Heligon) and writing in German. The USA version came with Schneider Xenon lenses and writing in English.

The flash sync. came on some Compur Rapid shutters but not all. Always came on the later Synchro-Compur. If you see a PC tip sticking out of the shutter at the 2'o clock or 5'o clock position that is the flash sync. post. If you don't see it, it doesn't have that feature.

Open the back. Push up on the shaft connected to the rewind knob. The rewind knob should pop up. There may be a screw revealed to you then that was hidden under the knob.

Personally, I like the Rodenstock lenses.

Ravenlot
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info on the two versions and the info on the flash sync.

As for removing the top, actually, my problem is disconnecting the film advance knob or assembly on the right located next to the shutter release. The rewind knob on the left doesn't appear to be a problem when removing the top cover. It's the knob on the right (film advance) that is holding the top cover down on that side I think.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Ravenlot,

Here are your instructions for removing the top cover of your type 014 Retina II...

Start by removing the screws at each end of the top plate, and then remove the rewind knob and unscrew the small cap on the top of the shutter release.

The rewind knob just unscrews from the shaft. Put a screwdriver, or something else between the forks of the rewind shaft to stop it turning, then unscrew the knob with your fingers.

The cap on the shutter release, is present, just unscrews too, try to get it loose with your fingers, it is soft and gets ugly easily if you use pliers.

Loosen the advance knob. That advance knob is left-hand threaded. You must hold the shaft inside the camera from turning with a small spanner or pliers. There are flats on the shaft just above the take-up spool. This is important, if you don't hold the shaft you will most likely damage the mechanism.

The main secret to lifting the top off, which you need to know, is that you must have the camera wound on ready for the next exposure. Do this by opening the camera back and turning the film advance knob while moving the film sprocket forward with your thumb until the advance locks.

Remove the advance knob.

Depress the shutter release as far as it will go and while holding it down you can tip the top plate back up over it, and draw the top plate back off the advance/rewind lever and the frame counter wheel.

Good luck, Chris

Ravenlot
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 02:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your response and expertise as outlined here and in the reply to an email message through your website. I appreciate it. As I said in my email message, I look forward to following your instructions once I obtain better tools.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration