Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Univex Mercury repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Univex Mercury repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Traquair
Tinkerer
Username: Traquair

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone read Ed Romney's repair manual for Univex Mercury cameras? Is it any good?

I've read the section on fixing Mercury cameras in Tomosy's book, but he doesn't give much detail on how to repair the shutter and I'd like to do a complete overhaul.

In case Rick Oleson reads this post; does your Tech notes CD go into more detail on how to repair Mercury shutters?

Thanks in advance.

-Jesse

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1089

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, my CD has notes on the Mercury. If you'd like just that part and not the whole CD, send me your email address and I'll send you the Mercury notes. [email protected]

Stereopost
Tinkerer
Username: Stereopost

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of my Mercs has a shutter speed dial problem and I need to figure how to take it apart. The Romney book is unobtainable, I found Ricks sketch on his site (Thanks, Rick!) and I don't have Tomosy's book, but- I did find that Googling the patent numbers in the Mercury II back I got the original patent drawings of the camera and the shutter design with controls. I know these are hard to read and understand, per se, but the text of the patent and the drawings will pretty well show what's what and where, and if you study closely it all comes together. Tip: make several prints of the drawings and use color pens to color the parts; it makes it easier to see the works and make sense of it. The patent number for the whole camera (Mercury I) is 2,233,390 and the shutter patent alone is 2,274,707. Assuming skill at reading plans and assuming the production camera is not notably different from the patent drawings, this should be very helpful. It seems there will be screws to remove the shutter module hidden under the front leather, by the way.

Stereopost
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update to may last post: I figured out how to take the Mercury II apart, found the problem and fixed it, then put it back together. It works fine, but: someone had taken it apart before me (the screw heads showed it-burred heads by bird brains!)the speed control knob does not index properly; it's off a mark or so. As the knob only goes on one way in relation to the cams and gears, it appears a gear is off a tooth or two. I will need to take it apart again to re-index the knob, at which time I will dress or replace the screws and touch up the areas in the camera that need the flat black touched up. All in all, the Mercury II is a fascinating camera, one of my favorites. I will refine my notes and take photos of the operation this next time, and work up an article that can be put on to CD. I don't want to keep this secret; there are a lot of Mercury II fans out there that need the info!

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 269

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I look forward to a posting on this. My Merc is in good working order, but I'll be glad to see any service info, just in case.

I wonder sometimes how many people have disassembled a Mercury thinking there's something wrong with the shutter when there isn't. It sounds unlike any other functional camera I know of, and if you didn't know better you'd assume it's broken.

Stereopost
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With other projects, chores etc., it may be a while before I can get this all together, so I hope everyone will be patient. The neat part is that the Mercury II really is not a hard camera to work on, once one figures it out!

Themandude
Tinkerer
Username: Themandude

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was able to get the upper back disk plate off my Mercury II but not get deeper into the camera. The mechanism is very dirty but I got the shutter to spin (slowly). There is still a back plate cover over most of the mechanism. Any idea how to remove that? Also, any ideas on oil points (if any)? Thanks. Great group. I have a number of currently non-working cameras, and some shots from the working ones here: www.themandude.com

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1175

Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah... drop me a note at [email protected] and i'll send you some notes on it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration