Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashicamat EM Winding rachet? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashicamat EM Winding rachet? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 37

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a very clean Yashicamat EM. Everything appears to be in excellent condition EXCEPT I had issues with the winding mechanism. After searching these forums I bravely opened up the side and cleaned. The main item seemed to be the racheting on winder wouldn't always engage after cocking and releasing the shutter. It would free wheel. There is a small gap in what I believe is the rachet assembly and its cover plate. A small squirt of QD Electronics Cleaner immediately improved the condition.

Upon further testing, it would still not catch sometimes, but much less frequently. I gave it another small sip of QD.

The question is, does this require lubrication, or once cleaned and operating freely, will it be ok to operate dry.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had a similar experience. As always thanks in advance for the great knowledge so willingly shared on this forum.

Thanks

Denny

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thought I'd bump this as there are a lot of knowledgable folk on the LM issues and might have experience with this one as well.

Thanks in advance.

Denny

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 122

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a picture, post it on imageshack.us and give a link, we'll talk.
Marek

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been pretty sidetracked the last couple of weeks. Here is a photo of the progress to date. I haven't disassembled the actual ratchet and would like to avoid doing so unless necessary.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4797740265_90458ff1ca_b.jpg

Thanks for any opinions.

Denny

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 148

Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do take it apart. The crank axle ratchet assembly isn't all that complicated and it goes together rather easy. Just take notes about the order of rings and screws as you take them out.

The crank connects to the mechanics only through cogwheels.

greets,
Marek

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Marek. After I remove the two plates and expose the ratchet claws, I imagine that should be cleaned up and reassembled. Do I place any lubricant in the ratchet assembly or leave it dry?

I do have a good exploded view of that side of camera to guide me through the disassembly/assembly.

Thanks again

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 149

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use some heavy grease, like vaseline, to treat the ratchet. The springs there are actually strong enough (at least in my Mat and 124G) to deal with even pretty thick grease, they just fail if the grease solidifies.

Under the outer plate:

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1895/201005032122165699web.jpg

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6416/201005032122215700web.jpg

To disassemble it further you have to take the complete winding assy plate out and unscrew some small screws on the other side of this ratchet.

Marek

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marek - Your photos are very helpful. I am going to remove the nut, two plates and spacer this afternoon.

Thanks again.

Didden
Tinkerer
Username: Didden

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Yashica LM that has the knob advance but when I am loading film it winds ok but fails to engage at 1 and just keeps winding. Sounds like this could be a similar problem that may the grease is causing it to not engauge. Would seem to be the right observation as I have not taken the side off yet.
thanks
dennis

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 176

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for late answer, I was busy getting married ;)

Knob advance cameras don't have this ratchet. The faulty part is 99% the counter assy. It consists of two separate discs that can rotate slightly against each other. The movement is spring loaded. if these two discs stick together, they won't open slots that catch the winding mechanism after each photo. It's hard to describe, but once you remove the counter it's obvious.

Marek

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 51

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW Marek. I realized I should have followed up and let you know that after cleaning and greasing the ratchet assembly as you described, all is well and working great.

Thanks for your patience and the willingness to share your knowledge and experience.

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 180

Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear it worked!

I think if every guy who ever tinkered with even only one camera in his life wrote down his findings (even if it were only: don't do this, or that, it will break the camera) we would have a cool repository to draw on ;)
So I try to write what I found out, even though I'm not a pro repair guy.

Greets!
Marek

Logandiana
Tinkerer
Username: Logandiana

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am working on this same sort of project right now too.

So do I just put the lubrication just on the ratchet that's underneath the winding plate? Do any of the other parts need lubrication? The part that was sticking on mine is the little ratchet lever on the out side of the winding ratchet. The one that dissengages when you press the shutter release. Do these parts need lubrication too or should they run dry? If lubed, the same kind of heavy lube or should I use nyoil or something similar?
This current Yashica Mat was one that I bought online after someone else made an 'attempt' at restoring it. When I took of the side pannel I was surprised to see that the entire winding side was PACKED full of grease like a wheel bearing. I took it apart and have everything soaking now.
Another question? What kind of lube? You mention heavy grease like vaseline... Are you actually using vaseline or what? Should I use something like axle lube for a car?

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 49

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is funny.Maybe put a grease fitting on it and carry a grease gun.LOL Ron G

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 55

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see it now. Bearing buddies for Yashica cranks.

Logandiana - the best I can recall is I lubed the pins the rachet claws slide on, and the top and bottom of the claws. I lubed the gear that slides into the spool (the gear that has the wafer spring and pulls out of the camera side). I lubed the gear bottom where it rides on the housing and the top where the wafer spring sets in. I also lubed the half moon separator where there is contact on the rewind stroke to cock the shutter. Don't know the terminology.

I use a general purpose white lithium grease. It seem to be a little thicker than lubriplate. I use a tooth pick point to apply it with. I use very small amounts and just add more points if it appears more is warranted. It is about the same consistency as vaseline and seems to work well. I also lightly lubed the pin that moves when the camera back is opened that allows the counter to reset at the retaining screw locations.

I may be wrong, but I had the mentality that less is better.

Hopefully Marek will weigh in with his great deal of experience on Yashicamats and point out any errors I may have made.

Good luck.

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 183

Posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol, great deal of experience :P You made my day, I have only two of these cameras :-)

Anyway, Around the frame counter disc you don't want any grease at all. In the main crank ratchet axle I used general purpose bearing grease, because I had it at hand. This location is really non-issue as long as you use non-corrosive (acid and resin free) lube. Besides that I followed the rule: what turns, gets oiled, what slides, gets greased.
Large dogs of ratchets don't get any lubrication between them and baseplate or they may stick, but they get a dip of grease at the tip and a drop of oil in the axle bearing.

Winding side of a Yashica is really no-problem, spring tensions are high and contact areas-low, so you could get a big brush and brush it all with thick grease and it would still go click. The only really sensitive thing is these two notched platters under the frame counter disc - if they stick together (oil, grease, dirt), you don't get a click-stop after each frame but can just wind on (or can't advance at all past 1st frame, depending, which way they stuck).

Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration