Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh CR-5 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ricoh CR-5 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Deestin1972
Tinkerer
Username: Deestin1972

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I'm a newbie here, and I need some advice.

I have this old camera, a Ricoh CR-5, had it since I was a preteen. My mum got it for my dad, they tried it, could get no results (blank film) and tossed it! I pulled it out of the rubbish bin and followed the direction, and took great photos, wonderful in fact!

Well, it's been years, and now the camera is a bit out of shape. It's light seals are gone, just some goo left, it's mirror is dirty and scratched a little from the looks of it, some streaks, etc, and the focusing screen is dirty and there are a few scratches. Now for the lens, looks like fungus in it, but I got another lens like it in good shape of eBay for cheap.

Ok, so I may need a new mirror & focusing screen, and some light seals and a damper. Where can I find these items? I see some Ricoh cameras on eBay, not my model, but could I use the parts with my model?

And replacement directions, I see some on this site, for light seals, I could use them. What about for focus screen? Anyone know any good sites?

Any advice welcomed. And thanks in advance.

-Dee

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 117

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ignore mirror damage as long, as you can see picture in the viewfinder. No amount of scratches on the mirror will be visible on the focusing screen.

As to the screen itself, dust it off and leave it be. Scratches don't come out on film anyway.

This leaves you with light seals. There are at least three solutions:
1) buy a seal replacement kit (eBay), a set of pre-cut foam strips that will fit your camera (or a generic set of strips that you will cut to length, there aren't so many sizes of ridges anyway)
2) buy a sheet of light seal stock, e.g. from micro-tools.com or eBay, or,... and cut them yourself - it's the way to go if no pre-cut kit is available and your camera needs not only strips.
3) go to a craft store and look for micropore rubber (closed cell neoprene) on self-adhesive backing. It's not exactly THE thing, but if you are careful about picking the right thickness (or shading it with a knife) it can do wonders. I light-sealed a Yashica TLR this way and it's bomb-proof.
This material is also pretty good as mirror damper.

Forget about getting seals from another camera, these are disposable and non-refittable.

Marek

Deestin1972
Tinkerer
Username: Deestin1972

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Marek, I'll give it a go.

-Dee

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration