Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak signet 35 lens problem - help p... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kodak signet 35 lens problem - help please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Face01
Tinkerer
Username: Face01

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings everyone,

I'm new here, and this is my first post. As I read through some of the earlier posts, I see there are a lot of smart guys around here, so I think you may give me some hind on what I need to do with this problem.

The problem is very simple. I can't get this signet 35 lens removed for cleaning. I know it should come off by twisting it counter-clock wise, but for some reason, it just won't budge. I tried slipping some light fluid down the seam between the lens and shutter speed dial plate, and it didn’t do anything. I also tried heat it up a little with a hair dryer but also without any success. Is there any other way anyone can think of besides drilling holes onto it or trying with a flexi clamp?

Thanks a million

Agno3
Tinkerer
Username: Agno3

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to use a flexi clamp to remove the front lens elements. If I recall correctly, you need the 34mm one.

To remove the lens and shutter from the camera, you need to remove the lock ring from inside the camera. You can buy a tool expressly for this but I use a spanner. It is a tight fit inside the frame opening.

Face01
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to get one. The thing is going to cost more than the camera.

Oh well, if that's the only way, I will get one. I wouldn't want a piece of history destroyed in my hand.

Thanks for post.

Agno3
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried the alternatives? Some have used wide rubber bands to grip the ring. Some have also used a length of insulated wire wrapped around and to a pair of needle nose pliers to provide grip and leverage. You can fabricate the flexi by cutting one out of plastic and using the rubber band to grip the ring.

Signet 35's are inexpensive, pretty plentiful and the Kodak 300 shutters are not the most reliable. My father had one that I used to learn photography.

Face01
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool, I have tried rubber band to grip the ring, but not the other two ways. I will give it a shot.

You're right, it is a very inexpensive camera (got this one for $15). But still, it would be the best if I can learn something from it and preserve it at the same time.

Thank you for your post.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1104

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more possibility, instead of the rubber band: get some 3M double sided adhesive foam tape, cut a piece and wrap it around the lens rim. This gives you a much stronger grip than a regular rubber band with no risk of scratching the parts.

Another thing that sometimes works is a pair of rubber dishwashing gloves.

Face01
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried with wire over plier, but it wouldn't grip, the ring is just to thin. So, I tried using the tape, and it still wouldn't budge. I guess I just don't have an iron grip. Finally, I put a pair of plier over the tape (after laying down more tape over the shutter speed dial plate), and it came off. This is super cool, thank you very much, Guys.

Agno3
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great news! Once you're finished you'll discover that the shutter still does some quirky things. On mine, I don't set 1/300 speed before I cock the shutter - sometimes the shutter will release itself when set to this and then cocked.

The lens is quite good.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration