Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Who Does Yashica Repairs Reasonably? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Who Does Yashica Repairs Reasonably? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Magkelly
Tinkerer
Username: Magkelly

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got an FRI in superb condition otherwise that needs it's film counter gear replaced and it's light seals done. (They're present but a bit gooey.) I can handle the light seals I think no problem, but I'm not into opening it up and replacing that gear myself. I don't trust myself to go there. My hands are just not that good.

I really need to get this done in the next six weeks or so as I'm interning with a local photographer over the holidays and through the Spring and this is the camera I intend to use.

I don't want to risk my Pentax SPII. We're going to be shooting in some iffy places and scenarios maybe and Queenie is my favorite camera. I'm territorial there. I'd gladly let him shoot with this one to show me things, but I'm likely to get a bit snarly if he's messing around with the SPII and something happens to it. It took me years to get my hands on a fully working SPII. I'd probably wouldn't take it being dropped too well, smile. Losing this FRI would be a shame, but I'd survive.

I'd still like to get that film counter fixed though. I can always keep a tally I suppose, but it would be nice to actually know which shot I'm on. I'm likely to get caught up shooting and forget.

If it was a Pentax I'd probably send it to Mr Eric, but since it's a Yashica I have no idea of who to send it to, who does reasonable work. It's going to be about few weeks before I can afford to go there, got to sell some extra lenses to fund the job, or earn enough to cover it, but I'm actively looking for someplace to send it to. There's only guy locally and he's definitely not the brightest bulb when it comes to the older SLR's. I don't really want him near any of my cameras. I don't trust him with them at all.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 39

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you probably know, the FR1 counter breakdown is quite common, usually caused by a broken sprocket gear. I did many of those repairs, but since it seems like you are located on the other side of the pond from me, it would be more practical to get it repaired locally. If your repair person needs the parts, I have new sprocket gear shaft assemblies. If needed, please PM me for details.
Regards,
Bill

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 225

Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 03:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Repairing the frame counter gear is an uncomplicated repair to make, there are some detailed instructions in the archive. The only difficulty you may encounter is unscrewing the collar around the release button.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 110

Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.spts.com/spts-01.htm

Magkelly
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May do that, Bill thanks. Thanks to you too, Chic. I'll check them out. I emailed Eric Hama about it. Found his name on another board yesterday. I'm thinking hard about sending it to him. Might, might not. It's a bit pricey the repair.I'm checking with a couple of other names I found too.

I'm fine with doing the light seals but I'm just not sure I am up to messing around inside the camera. I read that post here before. That's how I knew what it was, that particular repair. You know while I don't talk a whole lot, I do actually spend a fair amount of time reading here. I've learned a lot.

I don't know. In the end I just "may" do it myself. I've taken computers apart. I should be able to do a camera. I'm probably capable of it. I'm just a bit scared of working with tiny camera innards, laugh.

I do need tools too. I'm going to check Home Depot this weekend and see what they have in terms of small screwdrivers and such. I need to check to see what they might have for foam too.

The idea quakes me more than a little, but I do think it's about time maybe I learned how to tech my own cameras. If am going to be a real photographer, and I mean to be, I should be able to clean and lube my own gear.

I want to read that thread again first though. I'm being chicken I know, but I want to make sure I get what I am doing. I'd really hate to do something that might mess up this camera.

It's a real beauty.

I still love my SPII more. That camera is my pretty baby, but this camera is coming in a really close second. I think I'm becoming a big Yashica fan too. They really made some sweet cameras and it's nice that I can still get some good lenses for them and not break the bank. As much as I love my Pentax kit, the Pentax M42 Takumar lenses are getting a bit pricey. I love the 3 I've got and want more badly, but getting any more would put a serious hole in my budget.

It was a lot easier putting together a serious Yashica lens kit. I don't have the Zeiss ones, can't go there, but mine are the ML's and respectable and they only cost me about 1/3 as much as a similar set of Takumars would have.

:-)

Magkelly
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On second thought, maybe I won't. I just found the cdegroot page on this little maneuver via the wayback search engine? That's more than just a bit scary. I don't think I am quite up to that one, yet. I may just do the light seals and live with the counter issue for a while. It doesn't affect being able to shoot and I could always get a sports clicker for $6 and just use that to keep count.

Magkelly
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Thomas Tomosy camera repair book is available at my local library. I'm going to go and check it out. Sounds like a great read and it just might help me decide.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 226

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tomosy's Books 1&2 are really good as his relaxed writing style gives confidence. Also worth browsing for repair information is Rick Oleson's CD, removing the top off a Yashica FR is covered here too. Cdegroot's page on the frame counter repair is alright, BUT he tends to make a big fuss about what is basically a simple repair.

Magkelly
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd say that's true. Reading that had me going "Okay, maybe not..." I'm going to check out Oleson's site. That looks like good info, thanks. My local guy got back to me this morning. I was just curious if he'd even go there. Not. Even if I could get the kit he wouldn't touch it. This guy, he advertises he can fix any camera, old or new, but so far he's really struck out on the old SLRs. Beyond simple light seal jobs he's pretty useless it seems. He wouldn't touch the Honeywell SPII I have either. If it's not last year's new SLR clearly he's not even interested. I'm not impressed with him at all.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration