Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat winding shutter cocking p... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Mat winding shutter cocking problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Logandiana
Tinkerer
Username: Logandiana

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I am putting back together on of my yashica mats that I have been working on for months. I have pretty much taken the entire thing apart, cleaned, and put it back together. The shutter works flawlessly. The winding and film advance works flawlessly. When I went to put the focusing plate (with shutter attached) back on the camera something is not lining up quite right. With the focus all the way in, when I turn the crank the little arm that moves up and down does exactly as it should and cocks the shutter. No problems. If I have the focus all the way out, same thing, no problems. If I move the focus to half way (say about 7-15 feet) then the shutter will not cock. It goes though the motions like it should and it comes about a half millimeter from clicking and cocking the shutter. I've tried moving the focusing plate around as much as will allow and still be able to be screwed in. I've tried with the shims the same way they came out of the camera when taken apart. I've tried without them at all. Everything seems to be exactly right, but maybe I am missing something. Anyone else ever have this problem or know how to fix it?
I hope I explained myself correctly.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 195

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't get to my photos from the disassembly now, so I can only recall from memory.

The cocking lever is actuated by a flat sliding pin, that's acting on a ring circumferential to the shutter, which in turn activates the shutter cocking lever.
Check:
- is the shutter seated properly with a locating pin (actually a small screw) sitting properly in an appropriate cutout in the lens board.
- are all shims under the shutter laid flat and in proper order (skewed shutter mount will lead to problems with cocking/releasing)
- check how much more lever travel is necessary for the shutter to cock in the problematic position - it could be off by just a hair width. If so, you could chalk it off to small tolerances upon reassembly and adjust for it.
- check if the flat pin coming from below the lens board has play. If it's lose, something might have gone wrong in that area. Also, have a look if it's a pin, or a fork - I don't remember. If it's a fork, check that the levers engage properly.

Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration