Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Beautycord TLR Missing Lens Element -... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Beautycord TLR Missing Lens Element - Please Help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Movephotography
Tinkerer
Username: Movephotography

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend has given me a Beautycord TLR. From what I can gather online, it seems to be a cheap mid-'50s Japanese import. It looks like this:

http://www.tlr-cameras.com/japanese/slides/Taiyodo%20Beautycord%20S%20variant.ht ml

Anyhow, I'm interested in shooting with it, and it seems to be functioning perfectly except that one of the two front lens elements is missing. I can put the lens element in the viewing lens and focus accurately, but in order to get a properly focused photograph, I'd have to switch the lens element over to the taking lens after focusing and before activating the shutter. If I leave the element on the taking lens, I can't see anything at all through the viewing lens. I'm at something of a loss as to how I might go about replacing this tiny glass part. Is this something most camera shops or some particular online shop would happen to stock? Do I have to wait until a parts TLR goes up on eBay?

Thank you very much for your help.

Emtor
Tinkerer
Username: Emtor

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm almost certain no shops have the lens in stock, so ebay may be your only option.
Do some research and check wether lenses from other cameras would fit. If you're lucky the Beautycord got their lenses from the same manufacturers as Rolleicord and Rolleiflex got their lenses.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 121

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These cameras were sort of generic with all the other Japanese TLRs of their time. Generally lenses were 80mm on these TLRs so, basically, any lens from a similar TLR should work but the metal it is mounted in must be the same size to screw into the viewfinder. Measure it with a caliper. I am thinking a lens from a Yashica TLR would probably fit.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration