Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica FR1 (FR-1) intermittant shutt... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica FR1 (FR-1) intermittant shutter release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 184

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone with ideas on why a FR1 would only release the shutter very intermittantly. Everything else seems to work. New battery fitted.

Also, anyone know if it's possible to remove the screen. I read that it was but no obvious way to release it that I can see.

And if anyone knows of a repair manual hereabouts I'd like to know.

TIA

Some additional information...

If I set it to 'B', the shutter always fires at the third attempt, and I mean ALWAYS the third attempt. Is that weird or what?

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 47

Posted on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the switches, especially the one on the lower left side of the mirror box (looking from the front). This switch should have good contact to the camera body.

The repair manual fo the Contax RTS gives some hints, unfortunately I only have a printed version.

The screens are not interchangeable, but there are two small screws that look like they are holding the frame of the focussing screen.

Ciao,

Dirk

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 185

Posted on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dirk, I'll look out for the switch. I have an RTS manual so I'll check that out as well. I found reference elsewhere that the screen is held in by two screws so I'll give them a twirl and see what happens.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 122

Posted on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FR-I uses the same shutter as the Contax RTS so that should be a good thing if you have an RTS manual.

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 186

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to confirm the two screws visible at the top of the mirror box, just inside the lens mount, do release the focus screen.

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 187

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to confirm the two screws visible at the top of the mirror box, just inside the lens mount, do release the focus screen.

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 196

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finally fixed this problem. The problem was the capacitor that is used to drive the release magnet. It seems this was a common problem because in later cameras the cap was changed for a larger type.

Here's a picture of a later FR1 (serial number 717152). The cap is the big purple one.
fr1cap1

The cap is a 220uF 6.3V electrolytic. It looks like this was factory fitted as the pads on the PCB where the original cap was fitted haven't been used.

The cap in the faulty camera (serial number 010969) was a 100uF 6.3V tantulum. I replace it with a 220uF 10V electolytic (which is the same cap used to repair Minoltas with faulty caps).

The original cap was fitted under the small PCB under the ISO dial. There wasn't enough space for the electrolytic so I brought it out to one side. It's the black cap in the next picture.
fr1cap2

The new cap in the later camera is fixed in a different place but there's also some wiring differences and when I checked the signals at the original cap position with those at the new position, they were different so I opted to fit the replacement cap to the original pads and not to where the new cap is fitted in the later camera.

Now I just need to fix the frame counters in both cameras and we'll be out of here.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration