Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

YASHICA Minister III questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » YASHICA Minister III questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tjw88
Tinkerer
Username: Tjw88

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I have a newly acquired Minister III, and have a couple of questions.

1) Shutter
I think the shutter is jammed... With the back off the camera, with it on the 'B' shutter speed and the shutter release is held down, I take it that I should be able to see that the shutters are open... This is not the case. Is this so?

2) The light meter
Should the light meter be constantly showing readings? There is nothing shown on the meter. However, on the dial (to change film speed) it looks like there is a button (with two holes in) that has been jammed. Is this a button (and is it relevant)?

Sorry for the amateur questions, and thanks for any replies!

Many thanks.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1) Yes, on B, the shutter should stay open when the shutter release is held (after charging the shutter with the film advance lever, of course). The shutter probably needs cleaning.
2) The "button" is not a button. It is a screw that holds the meter knob in place. It should rotate with the knob to adjust the ISO. And yes, the meter needle should react to light at all times. Try putting the lens in front of a very bright light (with lens cap off) to see if the needle moves.

Tjw88
Tinkerer
Username: Tjw88

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 05:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your quick reply.

On further inspection, I can see the shutters 'twitch' when the shutter release is pressed. So I think that they will need a clean. Is this something I can do myself? (I'm not experienced with the mechanics of cameras, but am willing to try).

Also, the meter does react when held in front of a bright light.

Again, thanks!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, make sure the "twitch" is not actually the shutters moving at 1/500th sec so you can't see them actually opening. Try a slow shutter speed like 1/30th and see if they work.
If they don't move, cleaning can be relatively simple. The proper way is to disassemble the shutter completely, but this is probably not feasible in this case. You can also "flush" the shutter with lighter fluid to get it working again.
On this camera, I think the best way to do this is to remove the rear lens element from inside the camera. This is accomplished with a spanner tool (don't try a screwdriver). With the rear lens element removed, you should be able to put one or two drops of lighter fluid on the shutter blades. Only one or two drops, because more may result in contamination the lens surface. This means more work to clean it.
Let the blades sit for a few minutes and try the shutter. If it works, great. If not, let the lighter fluid dry and repeat the process.
You can find more information if you look in the Articles section of this forum.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration