Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Some cameras don't want to be fixed a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Some cameras don't want to be fixed and are just as happy on a mantle. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 103

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a great quote made by Paul Ron in another thread. It deserves a thread of its own.

How true is that??????

I have a Retina IIIc that resists repair. Haven't had a problem with any other Retina, but this one is a real cuss.

What have you that would rather be retired on the shelf than be repaired and used?

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 196

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wife

Mattboston
Tinkerer
Username: Mattboston

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I was going to say on old nikkormat that just never seems to get right.

But then I read Barnum's comment. He wins. (or loses, I guess).

Thanks for the laugh, Barnum.

Matt

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 242

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Over the years I've had some cameras that just refused to be fixed n can say this with absolute certainty, they have a mind of their own.

That stuck filter that refused to come off?

I've had lenses that just wouldn't come lose no matter how hard I try, even put an oil filter wrtench on em n just crushed it to pieces n still won't let go.

I've had shutters, no matter how clean or how far I stripped it down, it just refused to run.

I've had cameras I restored that no mattter how well it seemed to work in the shop, it always jammed when I needed it most.

So let's hear yours?

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 53

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could have agreed with Barnum if Brianshaw's question had the word shelf replaced with pedestal. :-)

But seriously...or maybe seriously mystical?...Though I have not camera tinkered for a good many years, I do remember a Leica M3 that came to me with a dent adjacent to the wind lever and a separated rangefinder doublet. The rest seemed pristine and ready to see and face the world again. A couple months of ebay trolling garnered a M2 rangefinder assembly in excellent condition. After installation and halfway through the first roll of film the speeds got flaky. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast...very inconsistent. After a cleaning, lube and adjustment, but before a full roll of film the lower curtail strap lets go. No new parts required, just a reglueing. Again...not yet finished a complete roll and the advance detent mechanism refuses to detent, allowing unlimited turning of the advance.

I stared long at the camera...and it stared longer back. It now sets beside my late mother's portrait in the china cabinet she left me.

I bought a Leica M4 that likes to take the photos I like to take.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration