Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Altix IV aka Altessa Experience ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Altix IV aka Altessa Experience ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Heywood
Tinkerer
Username: Heywood

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I rescued an Altix IV made by Eho-Altissa. From what I understand these weren't widely imported into the US so I'm having a hard getting info on these.
Pretty much it's the same layout like you'd have in a Wirgin or Iloca. The issue seems to be with the shutter mechanism. Everything was locked up solid when I got it but now the focus ring and aperture ring work fine. There is a little lever at the top, I'm assuming this is to cock the shutter while the release button is on the top of the camera body. The problem I'm having is the lever only moves about 25% of the way and the ring to adjust shutter speed will not travel farther then 5 on the scale. On the side of the cowling that surrounds the lens there are 2 cutouts, one is to allow access to a screw for ???? the other allows access to some sort of release mechanism. Like when I move the shutter cocking lever 25% of the way, it doesn't move back, but if i trip that other release it snaps back to it's original position. The shutter release button on top of the camera body won't move either. So I'm at a loss as to whats going on, I feel like maybe I need to cock and release the shutter once which then would free up the shutter speed ring to allow it to be set at other speeds. I've attached a pic i got off google, I'd be grateful for any insight.
Thanks

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 321

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 05:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an Altix IV a while back, and stupidly rendered it dead trying to fix the slow shutter. I was gutted at my idiocy, as it felt really nice in the hand. I had no joy finding anything out about it, so you might be better off seeing if you can find anything in Germany (obvious problem - how's your German?).

I don't know what lens and shutter combination yours has - I guess you might be able to get into it from the front, but I think that's how I knackered mine...

Sorry not to be more helpful!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 322

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Second thought - lots of German cameras of that era have a shutter lock so you can't trip it without film in. Have you turned the sprockets to see whether that helps, or tried it with a scrap film in it?

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 86

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can find a German manual here :
Altix IV manual

but i must say that the scan is very hard to read. It is clear that this Altissa has a double exposure prevention mechanism so this is possibly still activated and so blocks the shutter release button on top of the body (but not the one on the shutter itself)

As said before by Adrian, have a look how the filmtransport works and operate it to reset that double exposure prevention.

Heywood
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the info.
I do have a roll of test film thats exposed that I use to load & test various cameras so i tried that as per your suggestion.
Theres a metal flap door on the back of it and there is just 1 toothed gear at the top. This spins freely forwards & backwards. I don't recall if it was like this when i first got it but theres no "rewind" button or lever or nub to press that might be causing it to do that. So when I load the film I can just keep advancing it till the end, it never locks & readies for a photo.
The camera is just like the one in th epic above, a hugo meyer lens in a vebur shutter that goes to 250. I have been able to move the shutter speed ring to 100 so thats an improvement.
There is a jack on there for a flash but theres no familiar
"V M X" to choose as a setting.
I'm really stumped on this, i'm not going to force anything and if I can't remedy the situation myself I'll just let ti gather dust. Since i haven't shot with it I have no idea what it's like and I'm not attached to it where i'd wanna drop $100 or more sending it out

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 88

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just had a look at that German manual. As said it is hard to read but IMO it says that when the film is finished you have to pull the winderknob to it's upper position and there turn it a bit to the right, you should feel a kind of lock there. Next rewind the film with the rewinder knob.

About the flashcontact that manual says (IMO) that you only can use shutterspeeds of 1/25 and lower.

Heywood
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmmm, thats gonna be tough to do since I started disassembling it this morning. I removed the front element from the lens, it easily unscrews, then there was a split ring around the opening. I figured this is whats holding down the large round part that has the graphics printed on it (vebur, shutter speeds etc)but i removed the ring & northing happened. The opening that the lens was screwed in has a cutout on one side, as if it wee a ring to unscrew but it seems as if it's a machined part of the inner lens body. At the opening it has a bit of a flange and the black dial is under that flange. I've tried to see if it unscrews but nothings happening.

So the bezel at the base of the lens where it meets the body is held on by 6 screws and the top part has 2 in the back. I'be removed all of them figuring the inner workings of the camera would slip out but still nothings happening. I've googled "vebur shutter diagram" but i find nothing. Is there a shutter similar to it ?

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 89

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never had a Vebur but maybe its name gives a clue. VEB could be short for Volks Eigener Betrieb (peoples owned company in the former DDR) and UR just maybe a reference to good old Compur. Just making this up right now hope somebody else can give you a better answer !

Heywood
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well after pondering over it for a while I turned it on it's side and that cover came ajar a little. I had been looking for something beyond that retaining ring when it was really just that ring that held it on. So once removed I could see the crux of the problem, quite a few little levers & gears are rusted. I managed to free them up, all except one.
Keeping my fingers grossed that it works after some wd-40 & a little heat.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration