Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Tool ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Tool ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 65

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yo!

Has any one tried this tool from Micro Tool.com?

Lens Filter Ring Vise
LV1

While in school, a couple of years ago as I put it, too many to count, an older gentleman in the evening class brought in the neatest tool for taking those nasty dings out. It was an expanding jaw like that found on a lathe. The instructor & him toyed with it on & off. Anyway, the instrutor & him figured out that in order to get a good ding out it worked best if there was a little shim placed between the dented area & the jaws at first to give more force to that area, then finish it by rounding it out. It worked great as I recall. So, if you are using one of the tools this might help. Let me know as I am interested.
The gum rubber stoppers they sell might work better if you slather them with a little acetone as this will make it very tacky.
The tool we had around the shops I worked in were a cylinder with a knurled grip handel & the griping surface was a natural rubber. Would slap some acetone on that puppy & bear down on those front lens rings & no problem came right off. That is the secret to how the factory techs did it with out leaving any spanner marks. I use to have a few small aluminum one with that plastic dip for tools for the Nikormat EL & used them to take off the deck lid.

The Best Mike...

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 99

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Mike,

I have a similar Lens Filter Ring Vise but then coming from an Ebay seller from India. I realy don't use it much as you allways have to put something in between to protect the filter metal from getting scratched. Wooden dowels combined with a wooden "anvil" cut to shape works maybe not so fast but less destructive to the filter ring surface.

Rubber tools are a great help. I use them very often. Most are plain rubber doorstoppers in different sizes bought for small money in a DIY shop. Never used acetone though to improve their grip. Had you ever problems with that acetone i.e. that it attacked the paint or plastic parts ?

I have one "professional" rubber tool which once was use by a Rollei repair technician. It's just a wooden handle with metal shaft and on the end Rubber inserted in a metal cylinder. I don't use because i don't want to spoil such a vintage tool. Can publish a photo on Flickr if you are interested to see.

Thanks for your tips, they are allways a joy to read !

Cheers,
Hans

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 73

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hans:
Thanks for the response. I was just tossing out the information for these guys more than anything else. I have not dealt with the plastic rings yet, as the information I have is from several years back when working in the field. Just recently sat back down to get back into the cameras a little. I can see what you mean about the tool doing more damage than good, nice to know. Thanks for the input!

The Best Mike....

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 261

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instead of using rubber pluygs I have been using plumber's tgest caps for no hub pipe. They come ion a variety of sizes and are redily available at Home Depot n hardware stores.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration